Should I replace pipe insulation (asbestos?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Ive taken up the floor and found pipework below insulated with what looks like old rags (see picture).

Pipework2.JPG

Should I:
1. Leave it as is because its fine

2. Take all the old insulation off and replace with newer/better insulation (maybe the grey foam circular stuff that has a slit in it?)

3. Leave the current insulation on and get oversized grey foam insulation to put over the whole thing (so it would be pipe wrapped in old insulation then wrapped in new insulation).

Lastly - Will the old insulation contain asbestos and therefore be dangerous to hande?

Thanks!
Tom.

Sponsored Links
it looks like hair felt to me, any insulation big enough to go over that (leaving it in situ) is gonna be really expensive

take off the felt and insulate with the proper modern stuff.

It doesn't look like asbestos, as has been said probably hair felt, rip it off and replace with grey foam

Sponsored Links
it doesnt contain asbestos it is hair felt , just leave it be it hasnt burst in all the time it has been in so you dont have a problem

Thanks for the reply.

How do you handle the 90 degree bends and T junctions in the pipes when using the grey foam insulation? Do you just have to cut it and fit as best as possible, or are there T and L shaped foam insulation pieces available?

Thanks,
Tom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back