Shower Drain Slow After 1st Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

Help please! Does anyone know why my shower drain would be slower after 1 shower?

During the second shower of the morning the water begins to gather in the shower tray. This has happened for a number of months.

I did get a plunger to see if that makes a difference, I do this at least once a week. If I don't the drain runs slow over time and even the first shower, water begins to gather in the tray. When I plunge during the second shower nothing actually comes up but immediately starts running faster. Does this point to a blockage further down the pipes?

I've tried the usual drain unblocker chemicals but to no avail. Should I try the one shot drain cleaner or caustic soda?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Possibly a partial blockage in the pipe, using the plunger may help induce syphonage which will in effect suck the water away, leading it to drain faster. I'd be cautious with chemicals, and anyway unless the pipe is full they wont clean the upper areas past where the chemical is sitting. Ideally, (and protect skin and especially face/eyes if you've already used chemicals!!!), try and clean the pipework with a physical method, e.g. a plumbers 'snake' or similar. Often a build up of hair and soap in a shower waste that causes the problem.

Thanks Hugh,

I should have said I bought a cheap snake previously but couldn't get it round the bend in the shower, too tight a bend. I struggle to get access under the drain too.

Hmmm, its difficult to know what to suggest then. I'm not a fan of chemicals, preferring to use mechanical methods, but when folks insist on installing shower wastes that are inaccessible for cleaning and/or maintenance it does then present a problem... I dont think it'll hurt trying one shot or similar, but if it doesn't work and you have to get someone to dismantle it, please warn them what you've used, it is nasty stuff!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Hugh,

I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Appreciate what you say, tried cheap drain cleaner down the sink and not much difference. Then removed the u bend and cleaned it manually as it never really cleaned it.

Don't be tempted to leave one shot longer than suggested as it will burn holes in your waste pipes

I dont think it'll hurt trying one shot or similar,

DO NOT USE ONESHOT ON INTERNAL PIPEWORK

This from the manufacturers data sheet

"Reacts violently with water"

NEVER USE THIS PRODUCT ON INTERNAL PLASTIC PIPEWORK

I dont think it'll hurt trying one shot or similar,

DO NOT USE ONESHOT ON INTERNAL PIPEWORK

This from the manufacturers data sheet

"Reacts violently with water"

NEVER USE THIS PRODUCT ON INTERNAL PLASTIC PIPEWORK

Thanks, should this only be used on external pipework? My internal pipework is plastic?

Oneshot should NEVER be used on internal pipework and certainly not on plastic.

The reaction of sulphuric acid (Oneshot is 91% concentrated) with a number of substances which may be found in waste pipework and with water itself is a violent exothermic reaction. In some cases the heat generated can melt plastic pipework. In all cases, when the product is poured onto water, the heat generated can cause the product to be blown out of the pipe and a spray of hot concentrated sulphuric acid is, to say the least, not a good thing.

Good grief, I had no idea the stuff was that lethal in the wrong hands! Never have, and never will use it, I'd sooner replace the pipework if its that blocked and a snake wont clear it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back