Shower keeps going hot and cold!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hope you can advise. I've got a bath shower mixer tap and for the first minute or so of being on, the temperature is relatively stable. Then it just starts alternating between scalding hot and crazy cold. Also, after the shower, the heated towel rail and all the radiators upstairs are hot to the touch.

As far as I can tell this isn't happening to the other taps in the house.

Please help!

Sponsored Links
You don't say where the hot water comes from!

If a combi turn down the hot water temp control knob!

Tony

Hi, yeah sorry it's coming from a combi boiler.

Took your suggestion and turned temp down by over a third, but didn't make any difference. Could it be something in the shower taps/pipes leading up to the shower taps?

Also, noticed that when using the hot tap for either shower or bathroom sink, the heated towel rail makes a glugging sound at the point where it's fed, like something's being topped up.

Mine did something similar.
My understanding was the boiler heated an internal buffer tank, turned off, the shower cooled the buffer tank and then the boiler heated it again.

I solved it by turning the boiler down as low as it goes, about thirty five, and just running the hot to the shower

Sponsored Links
Try a different shower head, the one you have is restricting the flow so much the boiler is over heating and then dumping the heat into the rads on pump overrun.

Remove shower hose from valve, start shower and see if water temp is constant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back