Shower trap help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello can anyone assist. I am fitting a new shower and trap. Solvent waste fittings however when I purchased the trap I was told to get a T25 fitting. Couldn't find one so city plumbing gave me a 43 solvent to ws32 compression fitting apparently they are the same thing. Shower trap lakes when I screw them together. Not sure if I need to add anything between the compression and shower trap.
IMG_20230513_133102.jpg
IMG_20230513_133041.jpg
IMG_20230513_133058.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have you tried removing the rubber conical washer inside the trap and just using the o-ring?

I'm sorry but whoever recommended going down the T25 route for that should have kept their mouth shut.

Did the trap not come with a standard bespoke type compression fitting for connection the traps waste outlet end to a standard waste pipe or the end of your flexi? If not then take it back and get one that does. Lots on the market.

I would also suggest that you lose the flexi pipe as a waste pipe solution for a shower tray. IMO they are fraught with longer term issues when used with the slower/shallow draught outflow from a shower tray and are really not suitable for that application.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Have you tried removing the rubber conical washer inside the trap and just using the o-ring?
Hi thanks. Yes tried that can't seem to get the compression fitting deep enough to make a good fit

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I'm sorry but whoever recommended going down the T25 route for that should have kept their mouth shut.

Did the trap not come with a standard bespoke type compression fitting for connection the traps waste outlet end to a standard waste pipe or the end of your flexi? If not then take it back and get one that does. Lots on the market.

I would also suggest that you lose the flexi pipe as a waste pipe solution for a shower tray. IMO they are fraught with longer term issues when used with the slower/shallow draught outflow from a shower tray and are really not suitable for that application.
So the show trap came with a. Compression fitting which acted as more of a pushfit fitting. with the advice to go with the t25 didn't need the compression nut so i have that in a box. the flexipipe is a must that's all solvent welded in I will. Have to. Live with the consequences. I think they were going from the fact then 40mm end of the flexi pipe wouldn't fit in the the trap or they were suggesting having a compression fitting on the pipe going in to the trap rather than a pushfit.

The compression coupler end of the trap would normally just be just that, a 40mm compression fitting. The rubber seal you can see inside the trap would go on other end of the adapter that came with it and then connect and tighten to the trap. The other end should be a normal 40mm compression fitting. If you show us a pic of that we'll be able to advise.

If the flexi is a standard 40mm ended flexi then that should fit into the compression end as normal, tighten and not be loose. No reason for it not to unless it's a really weird size. If it is a push fit type end and leaks and not able to be tightened then I'd change the shower trap.

The compression coupler end of the trap would normally just be just that, a 40mm compression fitting. The rubber seal you can see inside the trap would go on other end of the adapter that came with it and then connect and tighten to the trap. The other end should be a normal 40mm compression fitting. If you show us a pic of that we'll be able to advise.

If the flexi is a standard 40mm ended flexi then that should fit into the compression end as normal, tighten and not be loose. No reason for it not to unless it's a really weird size. If it is a push fit type end and leaks and not able to be tightened then I'd change the shower trap.
Here is a photo the compression nut has 42 on it so fits a 40mm thread. But when I tighten it water leaks out the bottom. To be honest it all screws together fine just seems to leak from below the nut when tightened. Do you think it is just me getting the seals wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20230514_113008.jpg
    IMG_20230514_113008.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230514_113028.jpg
    IMG_20230514_113028.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 33
The T25 isn't the right end to fit the shower trap. The T25 designed is to fit onto a square ended fitting (like a sink waste) so the seal presses up square against it, the seal is held in place/shape by the small flange and the seal then compresses making it watertight.

That shower trap connection has a fluted (compression) end, therefore it uses a standard compression conical seal. The male pipe then fits into the female end of the fitting and the conical seal/thrust washer and nut then jam that conical seal into that that fluted gap therefore creating the seal. Usually they are not interchangeable.

I think the trouble you have now, looking at the pics, is that T25 is already glued onto the flexi?? It looks like there may still be enough length on the flexi end to cut that fitting off and be left with enough to fit into a compression, unless that's a PVC collar that's been added to increase the diameter of the end?

Thank you yes all welded and no not a pvc sleeve so possibly repairable. As I thought ballsed this up. I have contacted a plumber hopefully they can repair my attempts. Good job I checked the system before I laid the tiles. Shame I welded it. Thanks again all very helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back