Shut off temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pc sits in a corner which gets cold , some mornings the pc is too cold to turn on , the power light flashes on the back , when warm air is blown into the pc I hear a click form the cut out switch then the pc is ok ,Does anyone know at what temp this cut out operates at ??????? and will it do any damage letting it get too cold or should I move it ??????

Sponsored Links
Oooo that's a new one by me. I've never heard of a minimum temperature for a power supply. Can you not check on the manufacturer's website? Or is it a no name cheapy?
Just looked on the Antec site http://www.antec.com/specs/SP400_spe.html they quote the operating temperature range as 10° - 50°C. I suppose most manufacturers will be similar. 10° is cold for inside a house though - you'd need a coat.
99.9% of temperature problems with PCs are due to being too hot not too cold. Oh well, we live and learn.
Stop being so tight and put the heating on. ;)

Yeah that's the model of pc. You need to find out what the power supply is if you want to find out the temperature range. Personally I'm having a hard time believing that your room is that cold. Why don't you put a thermometer next to the pc case and see what temperture it is on a cold morning? Do you not have any heating in that room or what?

Sponsored Links
it has stopped doing it now as the weather is warmer , but the corner it is in gets all the weather hitting it and a lot of draughts and it is definatly a temp thing as the power light flashes and when you warm up the pc with a hairdrier you hear a click as it resets itself and at the same time the power light becomes constant (this is the power light on the back of the pc not the front ).how would I find out the power supply model ?

You'd need to take the side off the case and have a look on the side of the power supply unit. The label should be on the side facing you - if you're unlucky, the label might be on the other side and you'll need to take the PSU out of the case. Even if you do get the part number and track down the manufacturer, what do you hope to gain by it? Do you plan to take the PSU to bits and bypass the temperature sensor or what? If you're determined that it won't start cause it's too cold (and it bothers you) why not just move it?

It doesnt bother me cause the pc will be moved soon during a hous erefit , I just wondered what the temp was that the pc gets to when this shut off is activated and will it do the pc any damage getting this cold or warming it up ????

sure its a temperature problem or is it a damp humidity problem and the hair dry dries it out never heard of too cold

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

suffolklad, this is an old post, we like to leave them
alone once they have been inert for a few months.

Mod Rupert

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back