Sinking a hole for a flush handle without a router...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got 2 sliding doors which need handles fitted to them, stainless steel ones which need to go in 13mm on a 50mm diameter. The overlap is 7.5mm on the face(65mm wide) so it doesn't need to be super accurate, I don't have a router so was considering marking off the circles(including another to mark the outmost limit) with a 25mm radius/32.5mm or as close as possible and using a drill with an 8mm bit with tape to mark off the depth and go around the 25mmm circumference? Is there any other way of doing this neatly and more simply? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Only with a holesaw bit. Not a hollow core door is it?

it's a cheap and nasty "Morton" basic ply door from B&Q so would assume hopefully that there's enough wood on the "lock" side to do this(just got to identify that!)

We've got a plumbers 6 piece holesaw kit at the work somewhere will look it out might get lucky wi the sizes. Just googled it and screwfix do a 6 piece electricians with a 51mm(ideal) but their plumbers one jumps from 44 to 57. The dewalt set has a 51 so it'll be pot luck if I get lucky can't remember the make anyway. The only problem I can see using it is surely the guide drill in the centre would come out the back of the door to get the depth on the corer? Then again if it's just a small 6/8mm hole it could be filled and it's just cupboards I'm forming so not important aesthetically? doors are 35mm thick so bit would need to go no further than 22mm from cutting edge....(22+13=35)

Sponsored Links
It's why I prefer the elongated flush pulls, as opposed to round ones, you just need a line of holes with a spade bit.
Once they're in the small screws should hold them, even in thin ply, but you can always superglue 'em in too.

Doors such as that, you could probably use a sharp knife and multiple 'passes' until you cut through.

If you haven't got a router buy a forstner bit of required diameter which will drill a flat bottomed hole to your desired depth. Ideally they should be used in a drill pess, but you can get away with a power drill, a steady hand and firm pressure. For circular holes these bits are better than a router anyway. Good Luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back