Skirting Board Gap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning to renew the skirting board in my kitchen and the moment there is no covering on the floor. Eventually it will have vinyl lino at one end and a thin pile carpet in the dining area at the other side.

Should I leave a small gap between the skirting board and the floor and if so what size please?

Thanks
Robin

Sponsored Links
There is no real need to leave a gap as it will just blow dust and draughts up from the underfloor if you have one or allow creatures to enter.

I always used a 3mm packer to lift skirting. This allowed for floor being slight out.
When I painted I could slide A4 paper under skirting to paint.
Some like to scribe the skirting to floor and fill any gaps under.
I fitted some vinyl flooring in a mates 1850s house and skirting had a 3-4mm gap under. I was able to tuck the vinyl flooring under the skirting.
I also think skirting was fitted with a gap under so carpets would go over gripper strip and tuck under skirting holding it in place. Reading online some disagree with this and think skirting should be tight to floor. Problem is vacuum cleaner will lift carpet around the edges if not tucked under.

To answer. Make airtight around edges before skirting is fitted.
Think about options and fit it how you feel is best.

Carpet gripper is designed to hold carpet without it being tucked under skirting .So only gap should be if it requires levelling .

Sponsored Links
If it's hard floor I like the skirts tight down on the floor (skirt fitted afterwards). If I know it's going to be carpeted I leave a gap so the carpet can be knocked down under the skirt edge.....skirt goes in first.

I always used a 3mm packer to lift skirting. This allowed for floor being slight out.
When I painted I could slide A4 paper under skirting to paint.
Some like to scribe the skirting to floor and fill any gaps under.
I fitted some vinyl flooring in a mates 1850s house and skirting had a 3-4mm gap under. I was able to tuck the vinyl flooring under the skirting.
I also think skirting was fitted with a gap under so carpets would go over gripper strip and tuck under skirting holding it in place. Reading online some disagree with this and think skirting should be tight to floor. Problem is vacuum cleaner will lift carpet around the edges if not tucked under.

To answer. Make airtight around edges before skirting is fitted.
Think about options and fit it how you feel is best.

At which points did you use the packers though? It you used them at either end of the board and the floor drops by 3mm, you will end up with a 6mm gap in the middle.

I suspect the "oh, I left a gap to help the carpet fitters" is just an excuse by chippies that do not want to go to the trouble of scribing the skirting.

Stair windings have no gaps to tuck the carpet under. They don't lift when you hoover them.

I am currently working in a victorian house where the carpenter couldn't be bothered to scribe the new skirtings. Only one room had been carpeted thus far. Even with the carpet down, you can see 3 to 4mm gaps in places. I guess his "defence" would be "well, I thought they would have a really deep pile carpet".

That said, the first skirting I ever fitted on my own, I made the mistake of using a spirit level.

The guys who laid the kitchen floor vinyl took the skirtings off the walls before they laid the vinyl, then refitted the skirting boards.
but then I had screwed the skirting boards to the walls but not completed decorating at the time.

The guys who laid the kitchen floor vinyl took the skirtings off the walls before they laid the vinyl, then refitted the skirting boards.
but then I had screwed the skirting boards to the walls but not completed decorating at the time.

Saves them having to scribe the vinyl.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back