Small patch needing render?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a small patch on the corner our my house that became exposed after a concrete step was removed. Does this need to be covered with render?

If so, would this need a professional or would I be able to tackle it myself. What would be the most suitable product for a small area like this?

The surface in the hole seems like very crumbly rubble around some blocks that form a small extension so would that need any prep?

Attachments

• 3E76E4A5-67F2-44B8-9930-18F9A63F36E4.jpeg
    3E76E4A5-67F2-44B8-9930-18F9A63F36E4.jpeg
    720 KB · Views: 78
  • E11953F5-62F2-4B27-A375-E3416F921827.jpeg
    E11953F5-62F2-4B27-A375-E3416F921827.jpeg
    588.8 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm only a DIY'er, so feel free to ignore!
...and I may be very wrong!

Sorry, It looks as though you may have a bit of a problem - nothing is ever straightforward!
It appears that you have a DPC (damp proof course) at the level where the bricks have been exposed.
The normal advice is to have a DPC at 150mm above ground level. Yours is very much closer than that!
The render should also stop with a drip bead above the DPC.
Your render appears to bridge the DPC and carry on down to ground level.
This could be a cause of damp.

Ideally you would lower your ground level, hack off all the render below the DPC, and render in a new drip bead, just above the DPC.

However,
If you currently have no issues with damp, some might say, fixing that little bit of render isnt going to make it any worse than it already is!

...the choice is yours ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back