Smoothing sloping floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a lounge with LVT which I am replacing.

Unfortunately, it has a slope across part of the length. As I assume I can't lay LVT over an existing floor covering, I need to rip up the old and somehow smooth it ready for glue down LVT (I don't really want LVT click).

I can't level the floor as the rooms off it are the same and I don't want angled steps between them.

Is there a way I can smooth the sloping area with a thick mix of self leveller and towelling it off? I can't afford for the thickness to be too big so the compound needs to me just enough to cover any glue that doesn't come up.

Has anyone smoothed a sloping floor with a minimal amount of thickness?

Cheers J

Sponsored Links
I believe its concrete with a dpm as its an extension added on to the original house maybe in the 70s/80s?

Sponsored Links
I believe its concrete with a dpm as its an extension added on to the original house maybe in the 70s/80s?

In that case, a good quality self levelling screed over the whole area, but concentrating depth in any dips etc is the way forwards.

You won't get the subfloor perfectly level side to side or down the length of the room, you'll be looking for a smooth finish across the area to lay the LVT to.

A skilled LVT fitter will be able to blend and get the worst out with a possible second coat of self levelling, depending how bad the deviation is, but, a smooth level surface will leave you with a great looking floor, it just may not be perfectly level in the room, it's notoriously difficult to get a floor 'flat level'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back