Soil stack air admittance valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My soil stack terminates in my upstairs bathroom. The toilet, bath and basin all drain into it about 1m below the top of the stack. I have fitted a Floplast AV110 air admittance valve on top of the stack to ensure that there are no smells escaping into the house. The problem is it doesn’t seem to open! When I flush the toilet, the required air is being sucked into the stack through the bath’s u-bend rather than through the AAV. How do I adjust the AV110 so that it opens when I flush the toilet?? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Sponsored Links
If the toilet is syphoning the bath trap, Then you will need to reconfigure your waste plumbing.

Take the AAV off, does flushing the W.C. still cause the bath to syphon? Cant adjust AAV AFAIK, they're either open or shut.

buck51, thanks for your reply. How would I reconfigure the plumbing? What needs to be where in relation to what? The basin and bath are combined into one pipe before they reach the soil stack. I can't see how this was done without removing tiling. The toilet empties into the soil stack about 12-14 inches above the combined basin/bath and at 90 degrees around the soil stack.

Sponsored Links
What is the depth of the water seal in the bath trap?

With a shallow bath trap, the depression in the stack may be drawing the trap before it is low enough to open the AAV.

A trap with a deeper water seal may be the answer.

Shallow bath traps should only be used when the waste runs into a hopper or open gulley, not when it connects directly to a soil stack

It turns out that air is blowing out of the bath plughole, not being sucked in through it when I flush the toilet. I've proved this by removing the AAV and replcing it with a sheet of clingfilm, which balloons up when I flush. This explains why the AAV is not opening, but why is air blowing when I flush the loo?

Possibly a blockage downstream. The water is displacing the air trapped in the pipe when you discharge the W.C., this air needs to find an escape route, and will take path of least resistance.

have u got an intercepting trap in your drainage system inspection chamber.,that can creat compression, due to the aav

It turns out that air is blowing out of the bath plughole, not being sucked in through it when I flush the toilet. I've proved this by removing the AAV and replcing it with a sheet of clingfilm, which balloons up when I flush. This explains why the AAV is not opening, but why is air blowing when I flush the loo?

That's how the Durgo valve works mate. The back-pressure lifts the valve & air enters the system. Now, do you have enough vertical pipe above your WC? It should be at least above spill over level. Remember the two Golden Rules on soil pipes; Sh.t runs downhill & Air behind water. If you have a single stack soil vent system, all waste pipes should enter the 'stack' on the vertical & be as short as possible; 32mm waste pipe maximum run 1.5M & 40mm waste pipe 3M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back