soot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my father has coal effect gas fire.the fire is fed by bottled calor gas,8mm copper pipe.supply line about twenty feet.over the last year the pretend coals have started to soot up.all parts at the gas bottle end have been replaced,regulator etc. jets cleaned at fire place.coals arranged in different positions as advised by corgi man.engineer came out talked and some more talking charged £60 or £70 and left.he basically suggested what we had already done.i am stumped and so was the gassafe man.i would be very grateful for any replys,guesses and ideas.
by the way no offence was intended towards the gas safe man.he did try trust me.

Sponsored Links
Get another gas safe man, this time who has a card that says he can work with LPG and fires on reverse of his gas safe card

. jets cleaned at fire place.
By whom?

coals arranged in different positions as advised by

They should be arranged as per manufacturers instructions. On most modern fires there is only one set up stipulated. Do you have he MI's ?

corgi man.

Presumably you mean Gas Safe?

engineer came out talked and some more talking charged £60 or £70 and left.he basically suggested what we had already done.

Did he do any tesys or actual work?

How old is the fire, and what is themake and model?

With some of these fires the coals being out by the matter of mm is enough to create soot as the flame impinges and even with the MI`s its a matter of trial and error

Sponsored Links
Get another gas safe man, this time who has a card that says he can work with LPG and fires on reverse of his gas safe card
this is a complete gamble and could cost a lot of money to get a resault.thanks for your advise.

By whom?

They should be arranged as per manufacturers instructions. On most modern fires there is only one set up stipulated. Do you have he MI's ?

corgi man.

engineer came out talked and some more talking charged £60 or £70 and left.he basically suggested what we had already done.

corgi- gasafe no need for silly questions
jets cleaned by corgi/gassafe man
he done more talking than work. checked up draught .2 out in his words which would have no ill effect on the fire.
i am not at my parents so no idea of the model.
fire is 5ish years old.
thanks for your interest.

With some of these fires the coals being out by the matter of mm is enough to create soot as the flame impinges and even with the MI`s its a matter of trial and error
namsag i would agree with you.although before i start moving coals around i will run a temp gas supply direct from the bottles to the fire.this will confirm that the issue is at the fire and no where else.as stated before regulator etc all new.
if it still soots up after ten minutes ill start playing with the coals..and pulling my hair out at the same time if they are sesitive to 1mm.
if you think of anything else please chime in.thanks again namsag.

By whom?

corgi man.

corgi- gasafe no need for silly questions
jets cleaned by corgi/gassafe man
he done more talking than work. checked up draught .2 out in his words which would have no ill effect on the fire.
i am not at my parents so no idea of the model.
fire is 5ish years old.
thanks for your interest.

Please yourself, then, after all it is only your dad's life you are messing with.

Have you checked your corgi/gas safe guy's credentials? He may be registered,but not necessarily for LPG or fires. And you are barking up the wrong tree with renewing the pipework, and I suspect you wasted all the cash changing the parts. ALL coal gas fires present at least a little soot, and on one range inparticular there is an adjustable aeration port, which if isn't set correctly WILL increase sooting. But, ubfortunanatly,you can't or won't answer my silly queations, so keep on pulling your hair out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back