Sorry boring bathroom extractor wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've searched for this problem but nothing on here quite the same i can see apologies if i missed it :
i've taken down the old extractor fan from the bathroom ceiling which had a timer built in and operated by pull switch so had two duplicate feeds, black wire red wire and earth x2.
the fan i have bought has no timer so do i just use i set of wires ( assuming one is switched and 1 permanent ) and terminate the second set ?
many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
No, you need to get a multimeter or other tool and identify which is permanent live and which is switched live.

If I were you I would label or mark the cables so you can go back to a timed fan if you want to later, and be sure to terminate all the cores neatly and safely, for example with a choc-block in a choc-box

It is better to wire a bathroom fan so that it comes on with the bathroom light rather than rely on people bothering to switch it on.

thanks John d
I have a multimeter so if i identify the switched line can i just use that one ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back