Sound insulation, rubber strips on wood batons?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The party wall in our flat backs on to the neighbours lounge. He is not noisy but we can hear his TV. It's a corner flat on a road, but for some reason it's the tv not the road noise that I pick up on. As i'm conscious he can hear our TV.

The wall must have previously had a door as when I stripped it back I found a hollow cut out with just plasterboard either side! I have since filled this with insulation. I also lifted the floor boards and stuffed any voids with insulation. The wall was then battoned and plasterboard put on. I could hear the TV so I then placed 25mm celotex in the void this has helped reduce the sound. I don't have enough room due to a door frame to batton out further from the wall.

I have thought about installing a layer of sound bloc plasterboard fixed with acoustic mastic. But it will still be tight for me to fit the door due to the hinges.

Could I take the plasterboard down and on the batons fit rubber strips or self adhesive foam to insulate the plasterboard panels? Would that be the solution?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Keep your existing battens. replace the celotex with rockwool insulation of the same thickness (25, 30, 40 and 50mm are all available) then fit resilient bars over the studs followed by 15mm plasterboard. Leave a 5mm gap all the way round the plasterboard and fill with acoustic sealant.

The resibar should be carefully installed to manufacturers instructions, regarding spacings, screw length and placement.

Thanks for the reply. My problem is that I'm so short of space that I can come out from the wall due to a door frame at 90 degrees to the wall.

I don't have the depth to space out from the wall. So resilient bars are out, I was thinking that I need to separate the panels from the battons as the plasterboard just acts as a large speaker at the moment. If I take the plasterboard down and fit rubber strips to the battons this would insulate the boards from the wall?

I gather rockwool is mineral wool?

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes rockwool is mineral wool. The celotex will just increase the 'speaker' effect.
Ok, bin the resibars idea, but the rubber won't do much as the sound can still travel through the screws.

If you've got the space, you could use 9mm plasterboard (or ply) screwed to the studs, and glue a layer of 12mm plasterboard on top. Use 'quiet glue pro' or green glue. (Google them for more info)
If space is that tight, then remove the architrave and cut it down lengthways, or butt the final layer up to it.

Hi,

Yes I'd thought the same about the celotex, the panel is just working as a speaker.

I don't have the depth on the wall to come out from it due to the door frame having to be tight up to the wall as there is no room to push the frame further out the otherside i.e the frame is 90 degrees against the noisey wall.

I did think about using toolstation acoustic sealent to put another layer of plasterboard on, but will the paper carrier on the plasterboard hold?

Investigate soundproofing wallpaper online, you'll be surprised...pinenot :)

Hi,

Yes I'd thought the same about the celotex, the panel is just working as a speaker.

I don't have the depth on the wall to come out from it due to the door frame having to be tight up to the wall as there is no room to push the frame further out the otherside i.e the frame is 90 degrees against the noisey wall.

I did think about using toolstation acoustic sealent to put another layer of plasterboard on, but will the paper carrier on the plasterboard hold?

No, acoustic sealant will not provide a proper bond, it's for sealing gaps, but will be fine around the perimeter. You need a bond that's strong enough, but flexible enough to absorb some of the vibrations caused by sound waves.

Investigate soundproofing wallpaper online, you'll be surprised...pinenot :)

I did, I found this...

"At an incredible 6mm thick..... Mav Sound Insulation Liner delivers as much sound insulation as 10 cm of concrete"

Does it f***!! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back