Sound proofing plastic soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a property that when constructed had the soil pipe thoughtfully placed in the centre of the main wall in the kitchen, and was surrounded by blockwork.
I have removed the block work and replaced the asbestos pipe with a plastic soil pipe. The asbestos soil pipe was great at preventing the water and waste noise inside the pipe but the plastic pipe is not.
I was wondering if there is anyway of sound proofing/ insulating a plastic soil pipe. I am going to box it in so it wont be seen, but i want the pipe to be NOT seen and NOT heard.
I would appreciate some advise on this one.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If like you say you are boxing it in, build your frame and bored nearly to the top and fill it with sand as high as possible, then put the top bit of board on

That option would be a good idea if it werent for the fact that the washing machine, dishwasher and sink waste pipes go into the soil pipe.
Filling it with sand would be a nightmare if you had to change any of the fittings for the kitchen?
Would something like loft insulation work. Or even bubble wrap??

Loft insulation would work, not sure how well though, i know that the sand is most definately the best option. You could build a shelf(for want of a better word) just above the fittings to appliances, then fill to there. So not causing to many problems when doing remedial work.

Sponsored Links
what you need to do is fill the void with loft insulation then double board the plaster board (15mm Soundblock) on the outside. do not press the loft insulation too tight as this will cause to reverse to happen ( noise ). forget armaflex.

better than loft insulation is dense mineral wood batts, brownish or dark grey in colour. You can get extra-dense ones for soundproofing, might be difficult to just buy one or two, but DIY sheds sell a medium weight one for cavity walls that you can probably buy in singles or small packs.

You will notice it is much heavier than the equivalent size of fibreglass loft insulation, this extra weight absorbs and deadens sound.

When you are plasterboarding it, overlap or seal all the joints, especially where it meets the wall and ceiling, to prevent air spaces that sound can get through, this really does make a difference. Remember to pack round the pipe in the floor and ceiling voids too. You often find mortar joints out of sight are half empty or gappy and this provides an easy path for noise (especially common in terraced or semis).

HI

filling with sand ??what are you trying to bury soil pipe or pyramid ?
any way thought of simply wrapping old clothes around soil pipe ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back