Sound proofing room from traffic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a novice on building and sound proofing so any help or input greatly appreciated!

I recently moved into a terraced house in a village and the front room opens straight onto the high street. I am looking to reduce the traffic noise. Here is some info…

Road facing wall: 3.50 (w) x 2.20m (h), wooden door in corner

Construction of wall: timber

Window size: 1.10 (w) x 1.40m (h)

Window type: sash window(listed) plus 4mm secondary window. Internal gap is approximately 100mm at top and 50mm at bottom

I am looking at:

1. Installing 6mm SGG Stadip Silence acoustic laminate instead of the 4mm existing pane

2. Fixing NSSW2 Plus acoustic panels to the stud/timber wall. The panels consist of 2 layers of laminated acoustic mineral board sandwiching a high density sound reductive rubber membrane of 5mm. I can’t afford to lose too much space and these panels are 30mm. Each panel is 1.44 square meters and weighs 38kg, so I will have to cut to size
Do you have any experience of the above, and do you think this will significantly reduce the noise coming through?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Decent front door and tightly fitted? Underfloor air vents? In proper sound studios, they use triple glazing with a total thickness of 6" with the centre pane at an angle. The internal frame is also lined with sound absorbent material. I looked on the St Goblin site to finnd the noise reduction, I could not find any figures. FWIW you can detect a change of 3 dB in sound level, just bear that in mind. £400 for 3 dB, bad :( , £20 for 20 dB good :)
Frank

When you say the wall is "timber", what exactly do you mean?

Sponsored Links
Acoustics are a bit of a dark art, it's very easy to spend alot of money and not really achieve anything (or in some cases, make it worse!).

As the above question, can you confirm what you mean by a timber wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back