Split load CUs - why?

spark said:
Very unlikely to be TT then :LOL: ; go for a standard split-load and ignore the 100mA RCD.

Looks like most off-the-shelf products nowadays have 30mA RCDs, and I've had my Q about why some CUs are split load.

Just to round this off - would Type C MCBs be more appropriate for my lighting circuits? I'm wondering if they would withstand the surge when a bulb fails.

Sponsored Links
Spark.......I know were your coming from when you say that the engineer testing the installation has the final decision but in the regulations it says where sockets are reasonably expected to be used for equipment outdoors, and the NICEIC say that schools, commercial premises are not likely (but dont hold them to that, cause they change minds to suit)(471-16-01).
Also you got to kind of listen to the client.....if they where to install RCDs through there range of schools....your talking ££££££.....then the client wont use you and you loose out big time......fair enough the safety side is being impaired but the disclaimer forms are a cheaper option for them and still comply with the regs.

What do you think?

I think you have to assess every socket individually according to conditions. I would not be happy that a 'blanket' email/memo would prevent every person in every circumstance using a socket by a door to supply equipment outside. I think you have to look at it like this: 'Is it possible that someone might use that socket to plug something in to use outside?'. You could send a memo out to every electrician saying that under no circumstances should he(or she?) touch a live part. It's just not possible to enforce and also not reasonable to expect it not to happen just because someones says that it must not happen.

SRCD's are not too expensive and could be fitted just in the locations where you consider there was a risk of someone using the socket to supply equipment outdoors. This is an area where there are no 'hard and fasts' and it is down to your interpretation of the reg's; if you have read, interpreted and understood, then you must make the decision based on your knowledge and assessment of the situation. I would say if in doubt, then make the recommendation that supplementary protection should be provided in accordance with 471-16-01.

According to the NICEIC publication 'Inspection, Testing and Certification', says that 'persons undertaking periodic inspection reporting need to have above-average knowledge and experience of electrical installation matters to enable them to safely and accurately assess the condition of an electrical installation...'. You either meet those criteria and are able to make that assessment; or you do not meet those criteria and should not be undertaking periodic inspection.

If you are in a position where you to meet those criteria, then in most cases the assessment you make must stand. It doesn't matter what the NICEIC or your boss says.

As for the client...I haven't met a client yet that says 'Please make your recommendations regardless of cost and with the utmost regard for health and safety'. Most of them say 'Does it really need to be done?'. This is the point at which your boss may say 'Well, not really because if you send out a memo....'. At which point you say 'Sorry, but yes. Neither you nor I can guarantee that that socket will not be used outdoors.'

Everyone will pull you in different directions according to their priority. Client-costs, Boss-continuity of work. You must be strong enough to stand by your decision. As for losing the work to other contractors, that will never change and people will always be prepared to cut corners to get more work.

This is the way I work and although I clash with people at times it can gain you a lot of professional respect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back