Staircase Renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking to renovate a 1970s staircase. It is the usual style from that time - painted white wood with a darker wood bannister. We would like it done in oak.

I've had a couple of joiners in to look at it, both of whom have presented different solutions...

One suggested replacing the top 90% of the newel posts with solid oak posts but cladding the bottom 10% with oak panels to avoid damaging its structural integrity.

The other joiner said that when you do this, there is not a lot holding the replacement newel post in place and a heavy shove could break it off. Instead, he recommended leaving the existing newel post in place and cladding it completely.

Can anyone suggest which approach would be best?

Sponsored Links
Cladding it completely is the same/similar in some ways, to veneering it when you think of it. All the structural strength is retained, and your simply applying a cote of decoration. So I would go with the second opinion, here is but one I found online - http://www.avontimber.co.uk/stair-klad.html ...pinenot :)

I'd agree that cladding is the best option. In the past I have had to splice a newel post and the job is only as strong as the joint and to make a strong joint requires quite a bit of work. Even more work is to replace the entire newel post another job I have done in the past.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back