Steam/shower room, steam generator has two inlets - which?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy,

I have a steam/shower room of an ebay special variety (don't have a go, I have it now!) and it has 4 flexible pipes to connect to the water:

One hot and one cold that supply the shower/bath etc.
Two pipes that lead UNMARKED to what looks like a 'T' connector on the inlet to the steam generator.

My problem is this, the instructions just say 'connect the 4 water inlet pipes' BUT, I started to wonder why a steam generator which needs a litte bit of water needs 2 supplied and why these supplies are in a T piece, so ?I tested and when I blew through the one steam generator inlet pipe, air comes out the other. Essentially, it's just like the steam generator inlet pipes have been connected by a T piece which in turn is connected to the inlet - which is what it looks like visually.

If I connect this up, surely it will create a possible cross flow of hot and cold water in my plumbing? I don't get at all why they have the T piece and require two inlets. ALSO, there is no indication, at all, of which should be hot and which should be cold. On the steam generator it's self, all it says is 'water inlet' that the T piece is screwed into and in turn both flexi supply pipes are connected to.

So - has anyone any constructive comments? I'm currently inclined to block one of the pipes and connect the other to the hot water only. This shuld feed the steam generator and avoid cross contaminating the water. What bugs me is why it was setup this way out the box - surely I'm missing something?

Greg.

Sponsored Links
Nope - that one looks like it's fed by just one water supply, T'd off one of the inlets to the shower unit mixer. You can see the shower unit mixer's other inlet pipe the other side is not connected to the steam unit. My steam unit looks similar, only it's mounted flat under the bath not strapped to the back of it.

Just that damn T piece on the inlet & apparrent cross connection of the water supplies bugging me, I'm all built up and ready to hook up otherwise!

Greg.

Not sure - unless it's for fixing some kind of pressure relief valve to prevent potential dangerous build up or to limit the incoming water supply pressure?

Sponsored Links
does the waste to the shower have a ''nipple'' for the drainage from the steam gen to go???

Did you get this sorted in the end? I had the installation hurdle with a few steam showers I bought last week from one of the top internet retailers but my plumber solved it. My plumber is a fairly decent chap, so if you need more information I'm sure he'd be willing to help over the phone if you needed.

Just let me know.

Darren

Did you get this sorted in the end? I had the same problem with a steam shower I bought last week from one of the top internet retailers but my plumber solved it. My plumber is a fairly decent chap, so if you need more information I'm sure he'd be willing to help over the phone if you needed.

Just let me know.

Darren

I would have thought he would have it sorted by now, the original post was nearly two and a half yrs ago!

Well don't I feel stupid! I didn't even realise. :oops: :oops:

Oh well, I thought I may have been some use to somebody but there we go! Haha! Thanks for the heads up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back