Stone shower tray - suitable surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm such a novice I don't know why I try these things but ...

... what surface is unsuitable for laying a stone shower tray on a mortar and silicone bed? The planned bathroom surface will be lino laid on top of floorboards but is it possible (and sensible) to do this or will the mortar not settle saisfactorily on such a surface. What alternatives do I have.

Any answers most gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
How your waste pipe will run is the only way to determine how your tray is installed.

If it will be above floor level, you need to install your tray raised on 4" x 2" with 12mm marine ply (just an example, thats how i do it) to allow fall on your waste pipe for the waste water to flow away.

If your waste can run under the floor, then bedding it on concrete will be fine. I would still install it on ply giving you a nice flat surface to bed your tray on. If you chose this option, make sure you cut a floorboard near to the waste area to gain access to the trap if need be (leaks or blockages etc)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back