Stove size and hearth advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've stripped back a fireplace, looking to fit a wood burning stove. It's ~90cm wide, 90cm high, and, when I've removed all the crap in the fireplace, will be about 33cm deep.

Firstly, I'm hoping to fit something like this, depending what people think about the space I have.

Firefox 8 Classic
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Firefox-8-Classic-

Firefox 5 Classic
Cleanburn-Stove.html
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Firefox-5-Classic-Cleanburn-Stove.html

How much space do people generally put around the stove?

Secondly, I have to bear in mind that I also need to build up a 125mm high hearth, from what I can see in the regulations. I'd be building the hearth on this:

Cheers for any thoughts,

James

Sponsored Links
You would be better off calling stovesonline or similar and giving them the above (very typical) info and dimensions, and ask them for advice, because it all depends on what stove you select, and how you wish the opening to look when finished.

You appear to have a hearth in place, level with your finished floor. That hearth will have to be raised. Your second lot of pics dont match the question!

Research on this forum, and all your installation Q's will be answered. There is much detail and some Bldg Regs required to do what you propose.

You would be better off calling stovesonline or similar and giving them the above (very typical) info and dimensions, and ask them for advice, because it all depends on what stove you select, and how you wish the opening to look when finished.

Glad to hear that my dimensions are pretty typical. I was mainly just interested to see what sort of space everyone else left around their stoves. I mean, say, from the wall to the back of the stove. 2cm? 20cm? I didn't spot anything obvious about that in the regulations, although I must admit I've only skimmed through them so far. I'll speak to the people who I buy the stove from, but people who post here have their opinions peer reviewed (and savagely flamed) which probably makes them worth just as much to me as the opinion of a sales guy. :)

You appear to have a hearth in place, level with your finished floor. That hearth will have to be raised. Your second lot of pics dont match the question!

Ha. Sorry, I didn't explain that very well at all. I was rushing to get to work. The second set of pictures are from the cellar beneath the fireplace. That rounded arch is directly below the chimney. The flatter archey projection coming forwards seems to be a some sort of hearth support. A builder I spoke to said that it was probably just a support for a hearth, rather than counting a hearth itself. It is, however, entirely brick/stone and no joists run though it, so it's not combustible in that sense. I was curious if people thought I needed to put a full 12cm of hearth on top of it.

Cheers for your patience,

James

Sponsored Links
The basement arching is most probably base support for your chimney. They typically had a fire opening and flue - often a downstairs laundry.

What you propose will be perfectly acceptable with the in-situ structural arrangements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back