Strange smell from air vents when I start my Vauxhall Zafira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, don't laugh but, there is a strange smell (like rotten eggs/sulphur) that comes through my air vents when I start my Vauxhall Zafira Comfort (2002). It's just started to do this over the past few days. It is also due a service.

It eventually dissipates after about five minutes but I really don't know what it can be (no, nobody is letting 'one' go when we get in the car, I've asked) :)

Could it be the pollen filters or air-con that is causing this problem. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Have you had a new exhuast on your car? The catalytic convertor can sometimes give off such smells when new, I have had this on a couple of brand new cars in the past but it normally goes away after a few weeks.

Perhaps someone else could provide an explaination.

The only other thing is has someone cracked an egg over the vents? :LOL:

Cat would be my first guess too.
Could be something simple like the pollen filter / air con filter though.

^neo^ said:
Cat would be my first guess too.
Could be something simple like the pollen filter / air con filter though.

The exhaust is the original one and the car passed it's MOT about two months ago - exhaust emissions etc. were all ok.

If it is the pollen filter, where about on the Zafira is it ? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Havent got a clue on them!

Likely to be under the bonnet where the widscreen wiper mechanism is. Usually a plastic cover that comes off.
Turn on the air con and fan to see if the smell gets worse first.

The pollen filter is behind heater controls. Access to it is to remove the glove box, and remove the numerous metal clips and slide it out.

Hope this helps

Ian :LOL:

Your exhaust fumes are being drawn in through the fresh air heater / ventilating ducts...
Heater fan always on to enable a/c?? this will, if 'fug' stirring (internal circulation only) not selected, draw 'fresh' air from external inlets.
Parked where the exhaust fumes may be blown forward??
:eek:

please note forum rule 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back