Strength of 40mm oak worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of refitting a downstairs toilet. My wife has chosen a free standing marble sink that will weigh 20kg. I want to install it on an 40mm thick solid oak stave type worktop. The piece of oaktop will be approx 800mm wide by 400mm deep and my current plant is to sit the worktop on battens on 3 sides. The sink is 455mm wide by 300 deep.

Will the oak worktop be strong enough on its own to take that weight or will it need brackets or some sort of support along the front edge?

Sponsored Links
that worktop would support 200kg let alone 20 kg

you dont even need the rear batten, but belts n braces.....

Im assuming no sink cut out.

Thanks both.

There will be no sink cut out, just the solid worktop with a hole for the tap and a hole for the waste.

I'll probably fit the rear batten anyway as its hardly any effort to fit and can only make it more secure.

Sponsored Links
The offcut of worktop i've used for the sink countertop has the staves end on rather than running parallel to the front edge. I didn't think about it at all until i'd already cut and fitted it, but i'm now worried about the strength as the worktop will be reliant on the glue holding the staves together.

My wife likes the look of the end of the staves (it matches the oak parquet we've just had fitted in the downstairs toilet), so i'm inclined to keep it. I got my 30kg son to stand on it and jump up and down and it seemed solid. I sat on it with my svelte 90kgs and it still seems solid.

I'm planning to fit a batten underneath the worktop that runs parallel to the front edge, just in front of the hole i've cut for the waste. I'll glue it and bracket it to the oak, and also to the battens fitted to the wall. My thinking is that this will then form a frame on all 4 sides which should take away any risk of the glue between the staves failing.

Am i worrying about nothing and the worktop will be well up to the job, or should i just buy a new piece of worktop and fit a new piece with the staves running the right way?

If your 30kg son has jumped on it and your, svelte, 90kg has sat on it in situ then I'm sure you have done enough stress testing to confirm it will easily hold 20kg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local