Stripping paint from stairs. What now? Help, please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello:

Despite being warned it was going to be very time-consuming, I decided to strip the paint off my 1978-built stair down to bare wood. The idea is to have the treads natural wood, and paint the risers.

The stairs had been painted with multiple layers of gloss over the years, nut only on the sides. The centre had been left natural, always covered by a carpet runner.

I first used a chemical paint stripper and after 3 or 4 applications, I was able to remove all the paint (or so I thought). I then started sanding the treads, using am electric sander using first 120 and then 80 sanding paper. The wood is indeed starting to show off beautifully, but on some treads there's a very distinct difference in wood tone. The parts that used to be paint in white are clearly lighter, as you can see from the pictures.

I have already spent over an hour of sanding the pictured tread, and I still can't get the wood to start showing in the same shade. Is that because the original paint is so engrained I won't be able to get rid of it completely? Should I just continue sanding and one day I will eventually get to the 'natural', untainted wood? Should I just give up?

Any comments would be most appreciated. The frustrating bit if that some treads show the tone difference very markedly, some other don't show it at all and others show it only slightly. I can't say I used a different technique on any particular bit.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Might be the case that in the past there was a carpet runner and the stairs were unpainted sunlight may have bleached the exposed wood.

Regards,
footprints

Looks like Parana Pine on the treads, not the hardest wearing but not the worst either. With the splits evident in one of your pics, you are going to difficulty matching each tread, I would suggest sympathetic staining first.

Starting with the dark center boards, try getting a stain match, to stain the whiter sections close to the center strips, lean towards darker than the center, if anything. Then you can stain all the treads with a finishing stain, to a pretty reasonable balance, not match because that would be impossible...pinenot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back