Stuck drain plunger...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, the old classic.

It rained heavily here last night for about half an hour, so heavy that the inspection chamber serving the surface water drains backed up to a depth of about six inches. Ah, thought I, time to use me new drain rods, the ones I bought as an indulgence and which hitherto I'd only ever used to unnecessarily poke and prod perfectly good drains.

I fitted the plunger, connected two further rods and off we popped into the pipe. Hit something about a rod and a half in, and started pushing. No movement, so I pulled the rods out...only to find to my horror that the plunger was no longer attached. I know that the rods should be turned clockwise both on entry and on withdrawal, so I've absolutely no idea how that happened. Maybe it wasn't screwed on properly, but it wasn't much consolation to learn whilst browsing the internet for solutions later that evening that you can buy rods with lockable connections.

Anyhow, this morning, once it was a decent enough hour not to disturb the neighbours by chucking manhole covers about, I ascertained by means of a mirror and a torch that the plunger was stuck in the position in which it had been inserted, so decided to try to screw a rod back into the thread and pull it out. No matter how hard I tried, and whatever angles I succeeded in achieving, there was no success. So I reluctantly got my spade out and started digging. Two hours later and well over a metre down, I found that the pipe wasn't only blocked by my plunger but also a solid mass of roots; so in a way, there was a silver lining to my predicament.

I purchased two flexi adaptors from Screwfix, and using them to insert a length of plastic pipe between the cut ends of the clayware, reinstated working drainage. AND I got my plunger back. The thread was full of cack, which may have been the reason why I couldn't reattach a drain rod and simply pull it out without having to dig instead.

Backfilling tomorrow morning, so here's hoping it stays dry!

Sponsored Links
Indeed. Now better than before you started even if it's ruined your day

Definitely a DIY disaster, albeit a minor one, which was ultimately to my advantage.

Sponsored Links
So is the moral always start off with the screw attachment until you have an idea whats what? I have never used my rubber plunger end, I can see that it wont pass old fashioned mortared joints and might get caught in plastic couplers as there is a gap between the pipes and the pipes have dead square cut ends.
Frank

So is the moral always start off with the screw attachment until you have an idea whats what? I have never used my rubber plunger end, I can see that it wont pass old fashioned mortared joints and might get caught in plastic couplers as there is a gap between the pipes and the pipes have dead square cut ends.
Frank

Yes, since my incident I've read a few accounts of experiences with blocked drains where the use of the screw attachment as first option has been recommended. In my case it might have enabled me to remove the bunch of roots which were already clogging up the pipe by pulling them out rather than pushing them further in, which was what happened with the plunger. You live and learn.

Good to know, I've often wondered if that might happen when I've rodded my pipes when they've blocked up, I tried the plunger and it was so tight I quickly pulled it out and used the screw instead. I share a waste pipe with 3 neighbours and I'm the last house before it hits the sewer and it always clogs under my house (extension built on top of pipework with manhole either side)

I was absolutely gobsmacked when I withdrew the rods only to find the plunger missing. Its the only possible word to describe that feeling: "gobsmacked". I've only used rods before on a handful of occasions, but I'm well aware of the need to turn them clockwise as you put them in, to keep turning while they're in there and carry on turning as you pull them out. And yet...my plunger came off.

Just shows what can happen when you're soaking wet and distracted.

It must have been thought of before... but has not been implemented by the manufactureres of these things..

Why not have a hole through each thread fitting male and female side then chuck on a large R clip. This way each section cannot rotate and will not come unscrewed - that's one less thing to worry about.

Nozzle

Not 100 per cent sure, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can get rods with a lockable connection.

Bit late for me, but might save someone else a bit of heartache and stress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back