stuck in the middle of the job.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The floor of my groundfloor bathroom is composed of a concrete floor, covered by a waterproof membrane, on which there is timber holding up a chipboard floor, on top of which there is lino.

Anyway, the chipboard became all soggy and we decided there was a leak in the shower and and to replace the shower tray and enclosure. We removed the chipboard in the affected area intended to replace with new chipboard. However, on removing the chipboard we noticed quite a lot of water trapped between the concrete and the waterproof membrane. The water must have seeped under the waterproof membrane somehow, but now the concrete is soaked.

Ideally we would like to replace the affected chipboard and move on. However, I just wanted to know if the trapped water will dry out of its own accord or wether I should remove all the flooring and dry out the floor and then redo the shower.

If the leak is stopped, will the trapped water just evaporate and spread and cause more damage if not stopped? Stuck now mid job so would appreciate any feedback as soon as poss.

Sponsored Links
what sort of water proof membrane? Sheet of plastic on top of concrete and then wooden batterns on top with chipboard screwed to it? is that what you mean?

if me, i'd take all the chipboard s***e out, it's got no place in a bathroom.

get a dehumidifier to speed up the drying process of the concrete and timber, (few days?) then you can be certain the leak isnt from some otherplace, to be sure. when all looks safe, treat your timber for rot and worm prevention (cuprinol green stuff is good) and then follow a sticky on flooring.

regds,
b.

what sort of water proof membrane? Sheet of plastic on top of concrete and then wooden batterns on top with chipboard screwed to it? is that what you mean?

Yes.......it is a sheet of plastic and wooden battens.
There is quite a lot of water trapped between the plastic and the battens. I guess it could be from the leak.....but I was wondering, could it also be coming out of the ground? I know the plastic is to prevent moisture rising up, but would there be so much moisture that it forms puddles?

Sponsored Links
if me, i'd take all the chipboard s***e out, it's got no place in a bathroom.

get a dehumidifier to speed up the drying process of the concrete and timber, (few days?) then you can be certain the leak isnt from some otherplace, to be sure. when all looks safe, treat your timber for rot and worm prevention (cuprinol green stuff is good) and then follow a sticky on flooring.

regds,
b.

Thanks for the response. Does this mean I dont have to remove the damp proof layer? Do you think the dehumidifier would be able to reach under the damp proof layer to dry out the water?
Was wondering....do you think I could get away with drilling a few holes in the chipboard and putting in a dehumidifier to dry out the water?

You may as well replace the whole lot. Dpm sheet is peanuts and chipboard is rubbish anyway. Replace with plywood or osb board. You need to uplift the plastic and allow to dry. Use a dehumidifyier to speed up the drying of the concrete. This is not a quick repair. Going to need at least a week to dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back