suden appearence of rust spots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
last summer i had lots of black tar spots on my van so i used tar spot remover and then tea cut. Just washed it again now, and one side is covered in rust spots! Does anyone know whats going on and what can be done.

whatatodo

Sponsored Links
you need to scrape off any loose deposits,apply a rust convertor such as kurust and then when its dried apply your top coat of whatever colour it is

whatatodo said:
last summer i had lots of black tar spots on my van so i used tar spot remover and then tea cut. Just washed it again now, and one side is covered in rust spots! Does anyone know whats going on and what can be done.

whatatodo

Tar & glue remover will lift any polish/paint protector you have on ya vehicle, T-Cut will do the same, you should have applied wax/polish afterwards. Have you gone really heavy handed with the T-Cut and gone right through the paint?? 'cause if you have its no wonder rust is appearing! Anyway thats my theory ;) Remedy is to repaint i'm afraid :eek: I'm a car valeter working in a paint shop and in my oppinion most vans have thin paint!!

millerman said:
I'm a car valeter working in a paint shop and in my oppinion most vans have thin paint!!

Then i have no chance, as it was signed before i had it so must have been tea cut to remove shadow.

The rust pin pricks are just on one panel, so i should give a good polish to the rest i guess. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
If the rust spots are insubstantial, buy a bottle of Jenolite (this is a clear liquid, acid rust remover) and rub it over the rust with a cotton rag (use rubber gloves). It will clean off slight rust (you can use it on spotty chrome too).

It does not leave a protective layer like Kurust or some of the others, so you will still have to apply some sort of paint or laquer to stop it rusting again.

Any polish or wax will do, give it a good wash, dry, then apply the polish/wax, this should give some protection but i feel the damage has already been done and its only a matter of time before the other panel will go the same way :eek:

Will wash washing up liquid and rise, dry, use Jenolite, use spray paint, and then polish. And will see!!!

whatatodo said:
Will wash washing up liquid and rise, dry, use Jenolite, use spray paint, and then polish. And will see!!!

Please ignore above! :oops:

After washing it all look so bad, i gave up and went to find a pro. And he said... It's nothing more than angle grinding dust! :D :D :D
So on his advice i went and got some g3 (heavy duty cutting compound) and after a while all came off. :D, Just finished t cutting, and after a well earned cuppa will start polishing.

James

James, two things mate, do not use washing up liquid when washing a vehicle because it contains salt :eek: Second thing, yes i've come across grinding dust before, it can also attack glass!! G3 is not a heavy compound, i use it every day, lust make sure you wax/polish after otherwise you're left with virgin paintwork ;)

Van looks great now. Splashed out and used autoglym polish and then sealer polish.

James, two things mate, do not use washing up liquid when washing a vehicle because it contains salt

Washing up liquid was used due to need to make the surface chemically clean, as the plan was to paint.

Thanks for your help all

whatatodo said:
Washing up liquid was used due to need to make the surface chemically clean, as the plan was to paint.

Thanks for your help all

Glad its all sorted.:cool:

Sponsored Links
Back