Sulphur Smell in downstairs W/C

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I wondered if you could share your advice, I've searched this and other forums and not been able to pin point my specific issue.

Each time we flush our downstairs toilet there is a smell of sulphur that appears for a while, some times you barely notice it but on occasion it's quite strong. It doesn't happen upstairs or affect any of the sinks.

It's a fairly new toilet, very similar to this: http://www.marabeseceramics.com/deco-close-coupled-toilet

The waste runs vertically down to the original (1920's) earthenware pipe in the floor, which is solid concrete, no crawl space etc. The 'swan neck' type connection from the pan to the ground pipe appears to be bedded in using a wax or putty sealant.

So from what I can gather, perhaps there is a venting issue, but seen as the other toilet (uses the same vent stack) and sinks etc don't suffer I doubt there is a blockage in the top of the vent pipe... so I'm thinking it must be local to the smell, could the wax (or whatever that is) sealant be failing and allowing air to be pushed out perhaps? if so I suppose I should rake it out refresh/replace it all?

Any advise would be welcomed.

Thanks
David

Sponsored Links
Check your manhole to see if you have a blockage.

Andy

Thanks Andy... I should have said that I know there are no blockages as recently had to check the manhole, actually had the camera in there and watched back myself, all looks good and no blockages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back