Suspect leaking drain???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

DIYnot doesn't have a drainage or ground work section so I am hoping some of you guys might be able to help me out.

We have had an under stairs cupboard leak for some time which we have monitored over time. We have and others have come to conclusion that the culprit may very well be our neighbours private drain about 2cms from the problem area.

Yorkshire Water have washed their hands of it and said it is a private drain, which is fair enough. However the gentlemen from Drains Aid was good enough to put down some dye to see if it appears in the cupboard. I was told it could be his drain as the gully looked misaligned which could mean a broken pipe. The water came through again and in the same place but no dye??? The water is not sewage, is not affected by climate and is reglualy wet and dry through the week.

I was told by several people the dye test is not really the best solution for this type of issue as the cupboard is not flooding and only appears wet on the surface and should only be used for tracing pipe routes. Having heard this I am left feeling a little confused.

Any ideas of what the best course of action would be.

Many Thanks in advance.

Mandy

Sponsored Links
You'd need a fair drop of water to get through for the dye to be noticeable I would think, but lack of dye wouldnt rule that drain out. What does the drain take? Rainwater or waste from sink etc (or both)? Intermittent problem would suggest drains, if it was a water service it would be leaking constantly.

Can you persuade the neighbour to repair broken gulley and see if this cures anything? Probablyworth doing a CCTV survey on the drain too (if not done already) to ascertain condition of pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back