Swapping Out a Water Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 10l 2kW water heater that's starting to fail so I'm going to replace it shortly. It was fitted in the early 90s in the days when expansion was absorbed back into the mains. Do I need to fit a non-return valve, expansion vessel etc or can I just swap the water heater out?

Sponsored Links
You will need to check the specification of the product you purchase, but I would assume most will require and expansion kit.

Under modern regs, they all need the expansion kit for a new fit, but this isn't a new fit, just a replacement, and I can't find any mention of having to bring the installation up to new regs. That's the issue.

As long as you follow the MI then you'll be ok. As long as you have a suitable uninterrupted length/dia of pipe for expansion back into the mains before the first mains draw off point, then it is allowable for a 10L vessel. It will need a prv though.
If you don't have the required distance or if a check valve is incorporated or once you go up to 30L then it would need an EV.

Sponsored Links
Well the MI are written to modern regs. Question is, if I swap out like for like (same manufacturer, same product), do I have to bring the installation to current regs?

Well the MI are written to modern regs. Question is, if I swap out like for like (same manufacturer, same product), do I have to bring the installation to current regs?
I would think to be on the safe side it must be fitted to the makers latest instructions,although it could be exactly the same appliance the instructions could have been changed/updated.
Often the makers dont mention local water byelaws and electric regulations this does not mean they can be ignored.

Which heater do you have in mind ?

Heatrae Sadia Hotflo 10 there at the moment, so I'll fit a Heatrae Sadia Hotflo 10 again

you still need to adhere to the manufacturers instructions that come with the replacement appliance, its as simple as that , no matter if a direct replacement or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back