Tap jumper loose, why?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
the jumper has fallen put of one of the taps I have been freeing off and lubricating. All the others have been firmly retained in place and I have not tried to clean and lubricate their jumper pins.

I looked in my "Ladybird first book of Plumbing" and it says that they usually fall out of mains pressure taps but not out of tank-fed taps.

this one is indeed a sink pillar tap (although it is tank fed hot at just over 1bar).

Why is this, and does it matter?

Sponsored Links
:( still don't know

other posts I found on search suggest the jumper is not supposed to fall out (so why is it a smooth pin slid into a smooth hole?) so perhaps I will give the pin a squeeze to make it less round so it is gripped.

I cannot see any mechanism that looks as if it would retain the jumper unless it is a tight fit.

You get loose jumpers and fixed jumpers, guess what you have :rolleyes:

Tap the end of the jumper with a hammer and you will have a fixed jumper

Hooray, a friendly face :)

What's the difference? does it matter?

On the other (identical) tap on the same sink, the jumper seemed fixed (though I did that one first, and did not try to pull it out)

Sponsored Links
No difference at all on mains water, on low pressure the washer can stick in the closed position when worn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back