Tarantino's denigration of "Movie Music"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was a bit dismayed by Tarantino's denigration of Movie Music.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35296993
His use of the word "ghetto" to me is of no importance. His apparent denigration of movie music is of far more importance.
Is he some kind of snob?
Where does he think that some of the great scores of yesteryear have originated, from opera, ballet, and musicals, perhaps. Surely movie music is simply an evolution of that staged musical performance.
Sure there are some memorable scores that have no origin in such staging. However so many of them were born from some form of topical necessity.
One of my favorites is Haydn's Farewell Symphony and I would love to see it performed as it was intended.

Going back to movie music, there have been many recent wonderful examples of movie scores standing on their own merit.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you listen to Radio 3 and Classic FM movie music is always being played. Its faux classical music! I thought Quentin Tarantino had actually said something intelligent for a moment untill I discovered he was refering to Ennio Morricone - what a fool!

If you listen to Radio 3 and Classic FM movie music is always being played. Its faux classical music! I thought Quentin Tarantino had actually said something intelligent for a moment untill I discovered he was refering to Ennio Morricone - what a fool!
Quite so richard. But as I said, surely pieces like Nutcracker Suite, Die Fledermouse, William Tell, etc are hardly faux classicals, but they were composed for opera or ballet, which was surely the forerunner to movies.
Then you have some wonderful movie music such as Cavantina, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc, which some would rate as every bit as good as some "real classicals."

There is a LOT of bland generic movie music though, the sort of stuff you can listen to hours for as background noise, but none of it every really sticks in your head.

That's how I take the comment.

And as said, could care less about any silly arguments about 'ghetto' being racist.

Sponsored Links
Fair comment Aron. But isn't there loads of "pure" classical music that never sticks in your head.
I think Tarantino was being snobbish.
If you listen to some of those three movie tracks that I mentioned, you could hardly not be moved by them.
Although, to be fair, Cavatina was adopted for the DeerHunter movie, rather than written for it.
I'd also include Doris Day's Secret Love as one of the great movie tracks.

One has to wonder if Tarantino is aware of Ennio Morricone's Gabriel's Oboe!

Ive just listened to Morricone's Mission Main Theme and indeed Gabriel's Oboe. I might have to take Tarantino AND Morricone seriously after all! But absolutely NO! like all Itallians, there is that flare of genius but they cant help decending into the pit of schmultz.
As an aside, I'll never forgive Kubrik. Every time I hear Beethovens 9th I'll always see THAT film playing in my head!

I wish you hadn't done that Richard. I've never watched Clockwork Orange, it just looked like a film I know I wouldn't watch after the first few minutes.
But I looked up your reference to Kubrick's Clockwork Orange and saw that clip with Beethoven's 9th. :eek::eek:
Now I'll have that scene in my head when I hear Beethoven's 9th.
I'll never forgive you for that!!!;)

My jobs done then! Curiosity will always be mans downfall in the end.

I listened to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly theme today on Classical FM.
I never knew it was one of Ennio's ones:

Sponsored Links
Back