Terminal blocks -- which ampage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I know this'll sound terribly naive, but never mind...

I need to slightly extend the electrical cables from a household ceiling rose to reach the terminals of a new light fitting. I intend to use a terminal block to achieve this. Two questions:

1.) Is this a safe/sensible strategy?
2.) What minimum amp rating should I gun for the terminal blocks -- 3A, 5A, 15A, 30A?

Ta,

Harry.

Sponsored Links
5A would be correct

However most modern ceiling roses include four little connection blocks in them, you may find that if you fit a new rose you don't need a choc block.

(?do people still call them "roses" ?)

Thanks for that... it's quite an old fitting, and it doesn't have any spare terminals as such.

Btw, I'm not sure what else to call it apart from a ceiling rose -- is there a more modern term?! And I'm guessing 'choc block' is the more modern word for terminal block? I must be getting old...

There are various ideas for calling it a choc-block, my personal preference is that the nylon connector blocks look a bit like a piece of Cadbury's Dairy Milk, divided into squares.

p1443618_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
There are various ideas for calling it a choc-block, my personal preference is that the nylon connector blocks look a bit like a piece of Cadbury's Dairy Milk, divided into squares.

Didn't they used to be black or brown instead of see thru as they are now - hence they did look like chocolate - but tasted pretty naff

the_jinj said:
JohnD said:

Didn't they used to be black or brown instead of see thru as they are now - hence they did look like chocolate - but tasted pretty naff

Now I think of it, you're right - but the brown ones weren't as widely used then as the translucent or white ones are now.

But so much tastier...and if you were lucky you'd get a golden ticket to Wonkas factory inside.......ok maybe not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back