Testing different types of paint - Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just doing a bit of paint experimentation. I have some exterior windows to paint. I have some wood of the same type and am testing the differing paints on them.

Obviously there is the usual water vs oil based argument.

At the moment I am testing white Sadolin Superdec (which seems popular). It is much thinner than I thought it would be. I am on a third coat and still does not seem "thick" enough. I also had not realised it is an opaque "stain" rather then a solid paint. I am getting used to its look and it is nice you can still see a slight wood texture. Not sure about how it will look on exterior windows though....

One thing that concerns/confuses me about water based paints, is the ease of removal at a future date. The water based paints (well superdec at least) seem to soak into the wood. Where as an oil based paint are a layer on top of the timber than can be removed with a heat gun or chemical remover.

How does one remove a water based paint for future repainting (assume one does not just paint over the top.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back