There's a Spruce Goose, aboot this hoose!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here ya go Pip, I know you love an aeronautical thread yer Filtonian! ;)

After watching an episode of The Simpsons where there is a plane called "The Plywood Pelican", I thought I would look up "The Spruce Goose", the plane on which it is based.

This extract from the website of the museum in which it is housed:

The Hughes Flying Boat represents one of man’s greatest attempts to conquer the skies as the largest airplane ever constructed.

Yet it weighs a mere 136 tonnes. A quarter of an A380, and not even a quarter of the An-225. As I can see, the only dimension where it excels is wingspan, at 28'9" broader than the An-225 (which is "only" 291'2" across :eek: ).

Is there an international version of the Trade Descriptions Act? Reckon I could get them to refund the cost of a trip to the US to see "the largest airplane (sic) ever constructed", if I can prove there are at least two bigger?

Don't get me wrong, it's big. And I would love to see it. Just I'm not sure if they should be calling it "the largest ever" when it is only so in one dimension, and generally the least important dimension too.

Right, off to bed for me. It's the largest bed in the world, in the sense that it is the bed that I have built most in the world... worthy of a museum?

Sponsored Links
Wrong site ! ;)
Did the big bird get far enough above the height at which 'ground effect' has influences on flight?
Rumours abound.
A great project in Spruce tho'.
:?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Back