Thermo mixer shower on Combi, Is flow rate ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Long one this so be prepared!

It's all to do with fitting a new shower and whether or not my boiler is up to the job/playing up. I live in an old victorian terrace with plumbing that looks like the previous owners let their kids re-site the boiler about three times!

I have a Biasi Garda He Plus 24 boiler fitted by a bad plumber. The cold water feed to the boiler was 5 l/min (sorry no pressures) when the boiler was fitted. It now has a new cold water mains feed so I assume the feed is running the same flow rate as the cold taps which run at 14 l/min.

The hot water flow at the bath tap is now 7 l/min (an increase of 2 l/min).

1) Is it right that the flow rate should drop by so (14 -7) much just becasue it's passed through the boiler? The user manual talks of raising water temp by 35 deg at 14 l/min. I wish!

2) Does the boiler need re-setting in some way to account for the greater flow rate in the feed or is there a valve/control on the boiler other than the blue tap underneath.

I want to run a Triton Sentiment Thermostatic shower of the bath Hot (7 l/min too hot to hold your hand under for to long) and Cold Taps (14 l/min and Cold!). The shower instruction manual says that 8 l/min at each supply (d.h.w. and cold) is required for optimum performance and that the pressures of these must be nominally equal. I know pressure and flow aren't the same but these seem pretty different.

3) Can i connect the shower to the pipes feeding the bath taps at those flow rates or will it give bad results i.e. it wont work or the shower will be weak? The whole point of this is to have a nice powerful shower.

4) Will fitting the plastic Flow Restrictors supplied with the shower sort this flow rate issue out and if so will the shower be powerful enough?

I appreciate any help that anyone can give on this. I'm sure these questions have been asked a million times but I have looked and can't find quite the right bit of info.

Thanks again for any help that any of you can give me.

Rich

EXTRA just read something that had me thinking. The plumbing kids mentioned above have used 15 mm pipe for the hot and cold water all around the house. Is this a possible problem? Read somewhere that bath tap supply should be 22mm or is this just with a tank fed system? Maybe this is completely wrong as the flow rate through the 15mm cold taps is fine.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back