Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any1 help with my problem :?: . I have a Icon combi boiler and want to fit a thermastat, I have been told and it also says in the book that i need a voltage free thermastat. Acording to the diagram in boiler manual u are not to use mains voltage on volt free contacts. But only able to buy from shop a stat with voltage free contacts, but has to have 230 volt feed too operate it. Can any1 help

Sponsored Links
The programmable room thermostat is simply a battery operated relay.

There will be a bridge of some sort on the boilers PCB which passes 230V from one terminal to another.

All you do is connect both wires from the volt-free stat to the two terminals after removing the bridge / link. it doesn't even matter which way around you do it.

How simple is that? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Are you thinking of fitting a room stat or a boiler stat ?

If its a room stat you're referring to, then they are all capable of switching 230v main, you'd have to try hard to find one that won't. As previous there will no doubt be a link on your boiler circuit board that can be removed and have a remote room stat wired to these contacts (not polarity sensitive), the remote stat is then battery powered to keep it ticking over and show the temperature etc

You either get a stat with mains contacts separate from the volt free ones, split the mains supply lead and T in there, or use a battery stat, programable or otherwise. The digital stats are cheap and mostly battery powered.
If you split the wires inside the boiler you'll have to put a junction box in there because the silly thing doesn't come with a normal terminal strip.

Hi mate, just fitted a wireless programmable stat to my Icon T boiler. Bit of a pain to do at first, as the PCB doesn't have a terminal strip, but guys on here helped me determine which were the correct wires to tap into.

15 mins of cutting and re-wiring and works a treat now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back