Tip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just discovered this by accident...

When deleting emails in outlook express, if you hold the shift key down when pressing delete - it permanently deletes messages instead of putting them in the deleted items folder (obviously asks you if you really meant too!).

Maybe, you all knew... maybe you didn't! :D

Sponsored Links
That is useful !!
Precludes accidently opening em when mousing around .... the more one clicks the more likely to double click !
Tab from folders to messages .. shift downarrow to select adjacent files, control downarrow for non adjacent .. shift, delete, yes ... gone 4 good !!

Personally if you have M$ Office, then I would always use Outlook not Outlook express.

I have got MS Office but I have used neither Outlook nor Outlook Express. Could someone give me an idea (just a couple on sentences will be fine, thanks) as to whether my life will be improved if I start using either. I've got a big book on the mantlepiece called Windows for halfwits or something but it doesn't go up to XP - this may not matter . Trouble is last time I reached for it I dropped it on me modem and rendered me off-line for a week. Was I p*ss*d off?

Sponsored Links
Eddie .... I have MO2k ... ok not the latest etc.
Good reason for using MSOE and not MSO :- Just couldn't really mess around with the updates for Office .. on dial up. So have chosen the functionality of OE ...
But after the 13th .. hopefully .. be in a position to fully update O2k on BB Then perhaps go to OutLook.
============ Sorry MMJ not really ====================
As an aside I need, and have RJ11 plugs to ADSL modem from filter.
Just paid £17-99 at Pc World Shed for 9.6 meter hi spd modem cable ... I couldn't wait to perform the enjoyable task-not of taking the cable from phone socket to study across front door threshold.
eXpansys web site £7.95 + PP !!! have already said elsewhere 'one born every minute !!' Hello Moto !!
P

Just_back_from_the_pub said:
I have got MS Office but I have used neither Outlook nor Outlook Express. Could someone give me an idea (just a couple on sentences will be fine, thanks) as to whether my life will be improved if I start using either. I've got a big book on the mantlepiece called Windows for halfwits or something but it doesn't go up to XP - this may not matter . Trouble is last time I reached for it I dropped it on me modem and rendered me off-line for a week. Was I p*ss*d off?

Outlook and outlook express have nothing to do with windows xp, they are how you send receive email

pipme said:
Just paid £17-99 at Pc World Shed for 9.6 meter hi spd modem cable ... I couldn't wait to perform the enjoyable task-not of taking the cable from phone socket to study across front door threshold.
eXpansys web site £7.95 + PP !!! have already said elsewhere 'one born every minute !!' Hello Moto !!
P

£17.99 !! for an RJ11 to RJ11 cable, wow! it must be good.

I know, I know !! Was £7.95 nearer the mark ?
It is Belkin cat5e, Quad shielding, Signal Exact twists :?: .. de blah and connects direct dangly filter (actually isn't dangly, clips together) to ADSL Modem ... Is really thick, will have to bury in underlay .. wife about to beat the 'ridge' flat with knockometer !!
Just needed to be ready for switch on, too much else to do this w/e hauling kit to Uni in Midlands etc... Will it ever end ? Will my new wiper linkage survive ?

P

Even £7.95 is pretty steep for something that is probably worth about 20p !! but hey, that's rip off Britain for you :)

So, is your internet connection noticeably quicker now? ;)

Sounds like a good cable though. I have a 10-metre Maplin own-brand RJ-11 to RJ-11. Flat cable, runs in the same conduits as speaker cables, goes near a few mains cables too. Still get my full 0.5mbit speed through it. Yours will probably live a lot longer though, I can't imagine my one being any good after screwing it up and chucking it in a cupboard!

Not on BB until late Monday.
Not using new cable yet .... actually on dial-up using bog standard bt extension (Male,male) from a 'double adapter with BT stnd sockets' ? plugged into BT socket (one side to phone, the other, the extension) Then a short cable, BT fem to RJ11 connecting internal 56K modem .... NB. As I have noted elsewhere, with a contention free ISP, I was getting around 5.4Kbytes / sec d/load on dial up .. so at that level the line appears ok.... I guess that is no reason to feel that BB will be ok.

The reason I bought the new cable was that I have observed BT working in the road on three non-consecutive neighbouring drives, resulting in fresh, new inspection pits at each site. ... There could be troubles ahead !! So felt it prudent to have the best possible internal connection that I can provide = quality cable and only three connections ... filter to BT socket .. new cable to filter web-side and Modem. All amateurish but as Big Al says ...'we are .....learning' we hope !

If all goes well, I may be able to report the difference (if any) between the existing cable and the Cat5e one, at a later date, they will co-exist into my study.

14th Sept .. BB up and running fine .. no problems-yet.
P

Sponsored Links
Back