Toilet fault - overflowing on filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have this problem with one of our toilets, it overflows for a good 10-20sec after each fill. The

Toilet is a Twyford with “Flush Wise” mechanism. The problem seems to be with the filling mechanism on the right. However raising the float manually doesn’t seem to stop the water flow.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Looks like it is going into overflow, so either a faulty inlet/float mechanism or the float needs adjusting to a lower position.

If it doesn't stop when you pull it up then a new fill valve is needed.

Recommend a Fluidmaster bottom entry fill valve with brass shank

Sponsored Links
That's the one mate. Most keen diy'ers can do it. Bit of help on here ,toolset ,to Include an adjustable spanner

The only thing making me doubt myself is that the other two toilets don’t have the problem, and if I lift the float manually on them whilst refilling, they don’t stop either.

Seems weird

Try this on your problem cistern. To the right of the filling valve float ,there is a grey bolt with a cross shape on top. That is used to raise or lower the float ,by turning the grey bolt , anti clockwise ( I think ) to LOWER the float. This has the effect of closing the water coming In sooner ,and therefore lowers the final water level. You will need to turn it many full revolutions. By making this adjustment ,if it achieves a lower level than the overflow your sorted .those valves ,IMOpinion are not brilliant and the fluidmaster are far superior. But if the above works ,OK see how it goes.

Tried adjusting the valve, no joy.

So, the fluidmaster valve sorted it - 10 min job!

Thanks all.

G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back