Tracing leaks in a slate roof..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a couple of leaks that have so far evaded detection by everyone who's tried, though I get the feeling that for the most part they've just been up looking for slipped slates rather than secretly broken ones.. I've the additional complication that my roof is sarked with tongue and groove under the battens, so potentially the water could have run quite a long way down a board before it shows itself in the valley gutter. Some of the roof is felted, and some isn't (judging by what was visible through damage we've already repaired)

Just wondering if anyone's come across a good resource on the web (such as a video) that details what to look for/what types of damage can cause leaks, because I'm reaching the point where I'm going to go up and start investigating myself, rather than throw day after day rate trades that can't find anything.

One odd thing about these leaks is that they don't always happen - a few times recently it's absolutely hammered down with rain in very intense bursts and nothing seemed to come through, yet other days when there was a persistent lighter rain all day, it would show. I've also wondered whether it makes a difference which way the wind is blowing as some windy days leak a lot, others don't..

I've the option of borrowing a "camera on a slim stick" kind of device - are these of any help used externally, or would they only really be useful if drilling a hole in the sarking from underneath (no longer an option, alas)

Sponsored Links
I think they were 10 x 20, can't quite remember. Will measure

I don't know if it will further complicate things, but the entire roof seems to have some sort of rubbery coating. On the face that gets beaten by the sun and wind, it is actually in reasonable Nick, baked on? Round the dark side of the moon however, it's peeling all over the place. It's crispy, but softens up when soaked in petrol. If it's hiding cracks or causing water buildup it might make leaks harder to find?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back