Train un-fare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I feel sorry for anyone having to use these trains ... NL the Govn of step changes ... Alternative to train? Car ... congestion charge plus parking?
If this is where we are when 'we' are doing really well, heaven help us when the inevitable dip pops by.

[url=http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0 said:
...THE Government struck a secret deal with Britain’s biggest train company to double fares on some routes as the cheapest way of reducing overcrowding.
First imposed record increases this month on passengers travelling between London and dozens of stations north of the capital. Cheap day returns are no longer valid between 4.30pm and 7pm, forcing people to buy much more expensive standard returns.
Fares between St Albans and London have increased from £7.90 to £14.50 for people who want to travel home during that 2½-hour period.
Similar increases are being proposed for South West Trains, the largest franchise, which carries 140 million passengers a year on lines between Waterloo and the South Coast...

Alistair Darling, who was the Transport Secretary then, announced that passengers would benefit from a series of improvements but failed to mention the plan to raise fares.
Another bullshotter ..
:eek:

Sponsored Links
Commuters :rolleyes: should Live where they work ....stop flooding into our countryside :evil:

and they wonder why everyone uses a car ..
i tried to get a train for 3 from tunbrige wells to norfolk ,it ended up being double teh price as if going by car ,so car won hands down ,whats waiting a bit in a few ques if it's cheaper

If your 16:30 train is late departing because of delays, should you have to pay extra then or should the rail company foot the bill?

Typical government blinkered vision, Not invest and for go a little less profit, but charge good old joe public more. He will then get in his car because its cheaper and more convenient and then Tony will moan on about too much traffic and not enough use of public transport.

It probably took a huge team of over paid consulatants to come up with this idea, another waste of tax payers money. :evil:

Sponsored Links
I think they are neatly setting themselves up for the great shift from car usage ... :cry:

Back