Trident - BBC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not going to start a flame war over whether we should or shouldn't (because I'm sure there will be those with better educated opinions/arguments than mine), I just thought I'd comment on the excellent items on BBC new today.

Bianca Jagger commenting on the fact that the UK has no need of a "nuclear deterrent" any longer. I'm sorry, but why would the opinion of a Nicaraguan (not British) ex-wife of a musician be of any merit when considering the potential security of your country. [I think George Bush is an idiot, but I'm not American so what difference does my opinion make.]

Its like when they talk about country pursuits they get the opinion of a hippie/veggie from some inner-city who talks about the barbarism of such pursuits (having never ventured any further into the country than one of the capitals parks). Try losing chickens or your pet rabbit to a fox before commenting on how cute they are - watch rabbits systematically destroy an entire crop of corn.

Or when they are engaging into some scaremongering about "dangerous dogs" and then interview somebody who has never owned a dog, and probably never been near anything with more teeth than a goldfish due to an irrational fear of everything.

Its good to see that the licence fee (and premium rate phone lines) goes to provide a worthwhile balanced argument.

italics hint at sarcasm

Sponsored Links
Evidently I am a little out of touch but I expected that Bianca Jagger was the daughter of Mick Jagger and as he is British that his daughter had a British Nationality ???

Agile said:
Evidently I am a little out of touch but I expected that Bianca Jagger was the daughter of Mick Jagger and as he is British that his daughter had a British Nationality ???

You're thinking of JADE Jagger

Bianca is as described above.. ;)

I don't know why Blair is worried.When he steps down The Blairs will live in America.
I've got mixed feelings about Trident.Is it going to be an independent deterrent or will Britain have to get premission from the USA before it can be used?

Sponsored Links
Right, now that I have learnt that Bianca is the ex-wife of Mick!

However, then I would expect that she has acquired a British Nationality during that experience and has become a pretty wealthy lady.

And we all know that money talks!

My opinion is of little consequence but I do support the Government in their decision to commission a feasibility study.

Any further decision will be taken in the future when the results are available.

Tony

Where is the threat from now?Up until the 80's it was the Russians.
Is it now the Iranians,koreans,Islam?The threat today is from terrorist and most of them are home- grown.

more importantly, where is the threat likely to come from in 20 yrs time when the current system ceases to be operational?

Is Trident going to stop home-grown suicide bombers?Is it going to stop a terrorist planting a dirty bomb in London?With all the might that the USA have ,it could not stop a few terroist hi-jacking their planes and smashing them into their buildings.
This is where,this is my own opinion,terrorist threat is today and the threat for the future.

Hear, hear. we need to build on our expertise in ground based Armed Forces...and how well would a New Trident type thingy work with unleaded solder on all the computer connections :confused: plus all the ****** that`ll stop a submariner living in a "steel coffin"etc. ad nauseam :rolleyes: get the price£now then x4 and a bit is what it`ll cost.....and the troops will be kept short of kit in the sadly inevitable wars that will involve us in the future.

BoxBasher said:
Not going to start a flame war over whether we should or shouldn't

As above. I'm not arguing for/against Trident or the legitimacy of Nuclear weaponry.

maybe I wasn't clear in my rant that I'm p'ssed off with the BBC seeking information from somebody with a personal opinion, not from somebody who is qualified to comment on a situation.

My opinion wouldn't be newsworthy (as everybody has an opinion) but my qualified commentary on a subject relating to my field of expertise would be.

They might as well just go to a pub and ask the opinion of the guy at the bar who is an "expert" on everything and will be happy to voice his opinion (which is always the opposite of your opinion for some reason) [We know that all pubs have one].

I do agree with you.It's finding a so called expert who can give an opinion on the government spending 30 billion pound on up-dating our subs, missiles and nuclear war heads?Giving an opinion of a celebrity to my mind is not very good.Mind you,she might have more of an idea than Blair. :LOL:

rommy said:
Giving an opinion of a celebrity to my mind is not very good.Mind you,she might have more of an idea than Blair. :LOL:
who doesn't... ;)

Sponsored Links
Back