Triple glazed windows - unreasonable expectations?

Those are figures relative to external summer conditions, this time of year it should be around 25 - 35%. That said there are numerous guides published by your local councils, on the web, why not look yours up? ...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Those are figures relative to external summer conditions, this time of year it should be around 25 - 35%. T..pinenot :)

Isn't the summer generally *more* humid, given warmer air temps?

My other thought was that having a window open in the bathroom will not ensure through-draft works in the direction you wish for- unlike a good fan.

That's what I was saying, you quoted 50 - 55% I qualified these as Summer figures and Winter would be round about 25 - 35% (colder air less moisture holding capability) so I would have a look at the calibration of your meter or whatever your using check it, especially overnight, and action accordingly.

No an extractor fan preferably a humidistat one, would work better in the bathroom...pinenot :)

No an extractor fan preferably a humidistat one, would work better in the bathroom...pinenot :)

Not sure on any consensus here :confused:, but I could make my point more clearly tho; an open bathroom window allows bathroom moisture to be *pulled* into the home, working against Aim. Fan won't.

Pinenot- I posted a q tonight about air moisture. Can you have a peep pls. Am I right in thinking that at this time of year then, that moisture over 35% in the loft is coming from us, or from 'old' moisture- pre roof replacement?

Sponsored Links
Going back to my first reply, DO YOU HAVE TO MOP UP CONDENSATION PRIOR TO GOING TO BED?
The reason of asking in the first place, was to establish a fuller picture of the problem. If the answer is no, it would suggest the moisture given off by breathing, was throwing the situation over the top and something could be done simply to alleviate your situation...pinenot :)

an open bathroom window allows bathroom moisture to be *pulled* into the home, working against Aim. Fan won't.

Totally agree with the points made about a bathroom fan. I have one but it's yet to be fitted up. Will fit when bathroom is redecorated in summer. I note however that the severity of condensation on the lounge patio door frames when we get up in the mornings doesn't change noticeably whether we've had morning or evening baths/showers the day before so I don't think much moisture is travelling around the place.

DO YOU HAVE TO MOP UP CONDENSATION PRIOR TO GOING TO BED?

No, I don't need to mop up condensation although the inside window frames are starting to get wet when we turn in. In the morning however, there's considerably more condensation on the frames and it's soaked into the tissue I place at the bottom of the patio doors the night before.

Our main condensation problems are not in the kitchen or the bathroom, although there is some condensation on the inside window frames in both these rooms when outside temp drops below about 3 or 4C - it's not too serious though. The main condensation is on the lounge patio door frames. These frames feel very cold to the touch (although that can be deceptive) but I think this indicates that the patio doors have a particular problem with cold-bridging.

Been watching the humidity/temp detector (also has max & min function for both relative humidity and temperature) positioned in the lounge. Over last few days, relative humidity has stayed in range 40 to 50%, 24/7 despite the very wet weather. Room temp has stayed within range 15 to 21C. Outside temp has been in range 0 to 11C.

From all sources I've now seen, there is no definitive ideal relative humidity level in domestic rooms. Figures I've seen for the UK suggest a range from about 30% up to around 55%, all year round assuming room temperatures of around 20C. Very few sources quote figures outside this relative humidity range.

Assuming my relative humidity measurements are reasonably accurate (I've no reason to think otherwise) then humidity levels in my home are acceptable, therefore condensation forming on window frames - especially on the lounge patio doors - is predominantly a cold-bridging issue due to a room with average humidity cooling down overnight and contacting the extremely cold internal patio door frame (the air 'trapped' behind the lined curtains that cover the patio doors is likely to have cooled more than the air in other parts of the room).

Did you know human breathing can produce a cup, or more, P.P. of moisture per evening. Assuming two people, that's quite a bit, and if some of it condenses on the window, frame and all, then you need something in the room that will act in a moderating way. Desiccant granules (silica gel) works in way, and may work to keep your room moisture free...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back