Turf - and a bit of wetness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I stripped off the turf from the back and front lawn yesterday with a turf stripper ready to lay down new turf in about two weeks maybe.
I have woken up today after the rain and can see pools collecting in the dips on the earth........doesn't look toooo bad
We never really had any problems with drainage...i've never seen any surface water....were doing this as there were lots of hollows and bumps and loads of weeds and couch grass in the turf we had. It was pretty grim

Anyway my question really is do you think that adding new top soil to these hollows will sort this issue some wot??? Possibly adding some sharp sand?

We haven't yet turned the soil over to get some air in so that may help also.

The soil is compacted and there is some clay further down
I was originally thinking of a soakaway however thats unlikely to be of use due to the clay layer being the barrier

Any thoughts advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
tod - you must rotovate then rake level before laying the sods. Hire the rotovator.

Edit:
Blimey ... the common word I used for turf (s.o.d.s.) was censored.

Thanks for the reply

We were going to get the scraps of grass up and turn the earth over......thats basically what a rotovator does (i think from looking at vids)

Back breaking yes...........the water has now since drained away pretty nice so I think that once we get the soil turned over "I think"it should be Ok as is

Dont bother turning the soil over as you are just wasting time. If you wish to get air into the ground just use a garden fork. Dont worry about the water lying on the ground its not a problem. to get the bumps out just get in some quality soils and spread it around with a rake to make it nice and even.

Sponsored Links
If you don't rotovate then rake level (rake standing on scaffold boards so you don't compact the loose ground) you'll be laying the new stuff onto compacted earth. The main purpose of rotovating is 'open-up' the ground to allow the new stuff to take root more readily; this won't happen successfully if you lay onto compacted ground - forking the ground won't work.

If you really want to put a rotovate over the ground then go for it. It is not needed as you only need to "open" the ground if you are using seed, even then just scratching the surface is fine. If you do rotovate the ground up you will need to roll the ground again as just standing on some boards wont be enough. When I suggested using a fork it was to push into the ground as spikes to put air in, about 3 - 4 inches will be good. Get some quality top soil in a spread this around to get the base all level and then just lay the turf. Honestly you are making an easy job just so much more than is needed. I have layed many lawns, professionally, both seeded and turf and I have never put a rotovator on one yet.
Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back