Turning off hot water - unvented system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a leaky hot water tap in the bathroom and thought we would be able to change the washer ourselves. However, we soon realised that we have no idea how to safely turn off the hot water.

I have done lots of googling, and can't seem to find a consistent answer to this. I read somewhere that simply turning the main stopcock off to stop the mains cold water would prevent hot water from being pushed from the hot water tank. Is this correct? And if so, once the tap is fixed could we simply turn the mains cold water back on again and that's it? It's just I have read things about having to recreate an air gap in the unvented cylinder, and things about the pressure. I don't really understand the system and whether it is pressurised (and whether this is something we should be getting regularly checked??) All I know is that it is an unvented system, there is an expansion vessel above the tank, and we have a condensing Ideal Icos boiler.

I can't believe that changing a tap washer could be so complicated that we can't just do it ourselves, but I also don't want to mess with a system that we don't really understand if there is a risk that we could cause problems or make it unsafe.

I would be really grateful for any advice on how we can turn the hot water off, and whether it is a safe thing for the clueless to do!

Sponsored Links
Just turn the stop valve into the house off.
All water if off. Then open the hot tap downstairs. It will run for a little while and then away you go.

Thank you, I was hoping it would be that simple, but I had scared myself reading about the air gap in the cyclinder and needing to re-pressurise.

Presumably we'll just be able to switch the water back on and that will be it?

Sponsored Links
Thank you, I was hoping it would be that simple, but I had scared myself reading about the air gap in the cyclinder and needing to re-pressurise.

Presumably we'll just be able to switch the water back on and that will be it?

Yes once you're finished switch the water back on. Sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back