TV Interviewee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm researching for a feaure about Part P for BBC South Today. We are wanting to look at what exactly Part P covers, what it prevents the general public from doing, what impacts it has on tradesmen and businesses. Are you someone who enjoys working on your own electrics and now find yourself on the wrong side of the law. If you are from the South Today region (Portsmouth, Southampton, Winchester, Basingstoke, Reading) and are interested in being interviewed and featured in this item please contact me at
Many thanks

Marcus

email address removed, these can be shown in your profile

Sponsored Links
exmouse asked:
Are you someone who enjoys working on your own electrics and now find yourself on the wrong side of the law.
Is it ok to use a false name and wear a mask?

shaggy said:
exmouse asked:
Are you someone who enjoys working on your own electrics and now find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

I would be assuming (and giving the impression) that that person no longer does their own electrics so as to avoid actually breaking the law. The aim is for me to show how the home DIYer can no longer do what he/she may have done for years and is upset they now have to pay for someone else to do it. Not for me to show that people carry on doing it and break the law.

Exmouse, don't get it wrong, actually you can carry on doing it as of today, you just have to inform building control and pay an exorbitant fee for their inspections, or get a test certificate from a third party.

Romsey BCO quoted me two rates one if I produced a test certificate, one if they tested, charges with my certificate based on "table three of the Council scale of charges (at present £60.00 but likely to increase from the 1st January2005). However where it is necessary to have the works tested the charge will increase substantially and a charge of between £250-£500 have been suggested."

I understand some different building control offices have very different policies and charges however.

Do please note that the safety argument neglects the increase in risk if people now run extension leads to sheds etc, as this is the cheapest legal route, thus the accident rates rise overall, just fall for fixed wiring seen in isolation - a quick look at the high accident rate in Australia shows this effect well.

M

(I'm based in a market town near Southampton by the way, how do we contact you without posting our personal details here?)

Sponsored Links
Exmouse - I believe you need to update your profile with your email address if you wish to obtain any responses via email.

Sorry I hadn't spotted that my email address had been removed from my initial post. I have updated my profile to show my works email at the BBC. If that doesn't come up my name is Marcus Gaines

Mapj1 thanks for the clarification over notifying building control. I hadn't picked up on that side of it. I feel the Part P subject is one that needs clarifying as at the moment very little is generally known to members of the public. Rather than it just being a legal jargon piece I'm wanting to put a human interest spin on it and show just how everyday people and businesses are affected by it.

shaggy said:
exmouse asked:
Yes that's okay, it doesn't effect Part 'P' :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back