UK light fittings in France

Reaction score
Country
France
I've made the (probably) foolish mistake of ordering some lovely ceiling lights in the UK for our house in France. As there are only two wires coming out of the electrics in the ceiling, I presume we aren't going to be able to use them... Does anyone have any advice, please? Do I need to send them all back? :(

Sponsored Links
It makes no difference whether you got them in UK or France. If they are metal they will have an earth connection requirement. They may need bayonet bulbs which you probably need to get from UK. If there is access to the ceiling you could run an earth wire from some convenient point to your lights.

I've made the (probably) foolish mistake of ordering some lovely ceiling lights in the UK for our house in France. As there are only two wires coming out of the electrics in the ceiling, I presume we aren't going to be able to use them... Does anyone have any advice, please? Do I need to send them all back? :(

No problem with UK light fittings in France. Your house wiring must be quite old as the regulations have required an earth wire for many years. With the power off, check that the earth has not been tucked away behind the ceiling board. Otherwise, technically you should install an earth.
Many metal fittings are installed without the earth, it does not comply with the regulations but unless you try to change a bulb with the power on you will not come to any harm, however you do this at your own risk.
Bayonet cap bulbs are readily available at Castorama, Brico Depot, Leroy Merlin etc or on line.
I have lived in France for 13 years and have had several installations certified by the regulator so although I'm retired i can be classed as competant.

Sponsored Links
Back