Under floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an 18th century Georgian house which can get quite drafty. The lounge is all wooden flooring and there are constant drafts coming through the floorboards.

Under the lounge is a crawl space where all the external vents are. Its very dry (as is the cellar) with no evidence of damp or rot. From my research on the Internet, it seems there are opposing views as to insulate unvented or vented. Given the house is now 212 years old and its been vented without any issues, I'd like to continue to have it vented.

My only concern is that by insulating in the crawl space I may inadvertently introduce damp. So my questions are:

1. What's the best product to use for insulation the that is mould/damp/rot resistant? There's pipework for the radiators that I need to take into account when laying anything down. If I need to the fibre glass type what's the easiest handling type?

2. Do I need to put a vapour barrier on the crawl space floor? There isn't one presently and I'm wondering if I can insulate without and only put one in if I see signs of moisture.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back