unlevel garden Advice needed = Reg's re fence line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

need to find out about doing some work on a garden soon, and need to understand where to start the level line from? and i can not find any advice or info on this on the web

planning to errect a new fence line along side the old block wall as our boundary line is on our side of the block wall. ( block wall is not ours )

The front patio (3) area of the lawn is going to be dug up and put on the back area of the garden (2) to raise it's level up by around 6" so that it is more flat. for a tent and trampoline and so on and to stop rain running down and swamping the ground out near the house

and the front (3) area that is dug up shall be lowered down by some 6" to become the patio area.. leading upto a little dwarf garden wall/steps which will lead up onto the back garden area (2)

but in doing so the old boundary fence/block wall (4) line that is stepped upward following the line of the old lawn shall become taller as it were? taller in the patio area and shallower in the raised back garden area

can I put a fence line in that is level (5) and if so where would i take a measurement from? is it at the lowest point? on the patio area by taking a reading of 2mtrs up.. or do i go to the taller fence line at the back of the garden and go 2mtrs up? and follow the level line back towards the patio/house?

what are the regs re this and a sloped garden (1) and fence line (5) or should I step it.. 2mtrs high on the grass area..and 2mtrs high on the patio and have a step down in the fence where the little garden wall is going to be!
or can I bring up the garden line all the way along so it is level and have a 2' wide planting side along the side of the patio area so in essence i dig a hole for the paito as it were and bring up the level of the soil to be inline with the back garden area (2) and have a level fence line? providing i stay within the build regs height of a 2mtrs tall fence line
View media item 47687please excuse my poor drawing :eek:(
I hope you understand my questions.. any advice would be fab
and just so you know there is massive overgrown bushes and connifers on the other side of the block wall/fence line

regards

J

Sponsored Links
The high end of the new proposed fence line is so little over the max 6'6'' regulation that it won't really matter.

Just go with what looks best and is most practical but maybe just run it by your neighbour if you get on, if not then its up to you whether to just go ahead.

hi there

cheers for the input

i meant to say the gardens on each side of the garden i am working on also slope down, step up and slope down as you look out towards the back of the gardens, and the garden i am working on the left side is slightly higher than the right side.. as the garden slopes downward from left to right but goes up again in the next garden and then slopes down again
if you see what i mean, a bit like a teeth on a saw blade
i understand the neighbour that is next to the proposed fence line to go up, is not that much of a friendly chap, and even 1" out and he has made complaints about things in the past.

so to find a point to measure from

should I ignore the neighbours soil line, on the side the fence shall go on ( as i think it is below mine by only a few inches ) and go with whatever it is in the garden to errect the fence 6'6" tall.

or am i meant to errrect a fence line to a max 6".6" tall from the lowest point of measure ie the neighbours garden or mine - which ever is lower?

Sponsored Links
to be honest you need to ask the council planners as they would be the ones to decide on the outcome of a complaint. Its often taken from original ground levels but can be a bit subjective

Hi there

i recon you are right, but I go on the planning website link and it is never active, and the only other web active site re planning is a waste of time.
i shall make a few calls on monday and go from there

and i will post on here what i find out

cheers again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back