upside down rads!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, my central heating was put in after my house was build and due to concrete floors downstairs i have pipe drops to the down stairs rads. i am thinking about replacing these rads with decorative stainless steel rads or similar. as im goin to all this expense i obviously want to eliminate as much unsightly pipework as possible!! is the any reason apart from akward fitting and reaching the trv that i cant turn the rad upsidedown and come straight from the ceiling into the valves???? the rads im lookin at are very tall and narrow and are only a foot or so from the ceiling. any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
thanks bahco! id rather have two short sections of pipe coming down into the rad from the top rather than two pipes coming down the corner of the room along the skirting board and up to the valves!!! thanks again

The "water out" pipe (at least) has to go to the bottom of the radiator, otherwise convection will allow the top of the radiator to be hot, and the bottom to stay cold.

If it is the unsightly pipes you are thinking of, it is possible to take off the skirting board, clip the pipes tightly to the wall and refix the skirting with a batten to space it out over the pipes.

Sponsored Links
If I read you right the inlet and the out let to the rads will be at the top of rad as fitted. You might have a problem with water circulating in rad as hot water will tend to stay at top and flow across and out rather than circulate.

Also where will the bleed valve be??

thanks for all your comments. after more thought iv decided to batton off the whole wall 20mm!!! it needs re skimming anyway and i can also run cables from plasma tv, sky ect in this void along with the fore mentioned pipes! thanks all

whao...

batton a whole wall rather than chase out a channel.....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

the cables that run to the tv are very expensive dont really want to bury them in the wall!!!!! also the tv will now be flush to the wall!! much nicer to look at!

Depending on which 'Designer' rads you go for, you MIGHT be able to cheat and run a small-diameter tube (eg. 10mm) down inside one side of the rad , connected into the valve tail at the top and open at the bottom, so that you create (in effect) a TBOE layout.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back