UPVC door convert to stable door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
First post here..... and probably a daft one.
I've bought an old stone cottage that has an undersized external door in the kitchen, with a single glazed window upper half. The door is pretty pointless and is right in the way for planned new kitchen. I'm wondering if it's possible to split the door so that the top half can function as an opening window, but the bottom half is just sealed shut, so it looks like a full stable door from the outside, but the bottom never opens as I plan to run kitchen units straight along in front of it.
As I'm typing I'm thinking it's extremely unlikely, but thought I'd ask first before I spend a lot of money having to replace the whole unit.
It is a 4 hinge unit and the top two hinges look where they'd need to be if split but the lock mechanism would also have to move. Photo attached.
Door.jpg

Sponsored Links
Upvc is a hollow product with multiple Chambers within, so no you wouldn't be able to cut it and make the too open seperatly. There are other issues beyond the lock , like keeping it water tight.. I'd leave well alone lol

Thought as much. I'll try a few quotes to replace with a stable door, but if they are crazy, I'll just leave the damned thing sealed shut
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back